All-Star Apologies: Part 23 [Class Trial]

"Byakuya..." Chihiro thought aloud. The Ultimate Affluent Progeny sighed heavily, not saying a word.

"You guys get what I'm sayin' yeah?" Mondo leered "the exit vent led down to the third floor! That's exactly where Byakuya was! Ain't that suspicious or what!?"

"I-I'm not sure..." Taka began to sweat "it could be a mere coincidence..."

"True...Byakuya's presence in the Rec Room alone could be accounted for as a mere coincidence," Kyoko considered "but unfortunately he's the only one who lacks solid ground for his account right now. I don't necessarily believe he is the culprit, but first and foremost, we should cover it."

"Solid ground?" Taka parroted.

"When you narrow it down, Byakuya is the only one who's alibi is a little shaky, and the circumstances seem a bit too convenient for it," Makoto explained "let's go over it again. Mondo, Taka and Kyoko all have accounts to back themselves up, since they were part of the search squad together, and Mondo, who found the body first, couldn't have used the vent to escape because he's too large."

"Additionally, out of the people who weren't on the search squad: Me, Makoto, Mukuro and Byakuya, Mukuro and Makoto were together at the time of death, and stayed with each other, meaning neither of them could be the killer. That leaves me and Byakuya."

"Chihiro and Byakuya were by themselves during the time of death, but one claims that they were in the Laundry Room, while the latter claims they were in the Rec Room," Kyoko concluded "we know Chihiro is telling the truth, since Makoto and Mukuro found him there right before the body discovery. That relieves him of suspicion."

"Why?" Taka asked.

Why I'm not suspicious simply by being in the Laundry Room...?

1 – My clothes were wet from the washing machine.
2 – I was with Alter Ego's ghost.
3 – I wouldn't have had enough time.🔫

"If I were the killer," Chihiro explained "that meant I would have had to lure Taeko into the music room, crush her with the piano; which in itself is difficult for me; escape through the vent, and make my way down into the Laundry Room where Muku...

"If I were the killer," Chihiro explained "that meant I would have had to lure Taeko into the music room, crush her with the piano; which in itself is difficult for me; escape through the vent, and make my way down into the Laundry Room where Mukuro and Makoto walked in on me relaxing. I would then have only had 4 minutes to do all of that, which is simply impossible."

"I should note that Chihiro wasn't out of breath or anything when we found him," Makoto said "he'd clearly been there for a while before we arrived."

"And with that line of thinking..." Mondo growled "it means Byakuya's the only one who coulda' pulled this shit off!"

"B-Byakuya..." Chihiro stammered "come on...tell us it's not true...!"

"Yeah! Start talking!" Taka demanded "or else we bring this trial to a close here and now!"

Byakuya himself was silent for a moment before he grit his teeth and hissed...

"This charade has gone on far too long...Me? Taeko's killer? I was far too busy occupying myself with a game of chess..."