Pain of a Junk Food Junkie: Part 11 [Deadly Life]

"Every second of this Hope's Peak Academy Killing Game is being broadcast, LIVE, NATIONWIDE, and to RAVE REVIEWS!"

Chihiro didn't understand. Monokuma could say this as many times as he wanted to and he still wouldn't understand. He'd heard and understood all of the words, but that didn't matter in the slightest. 

"Wh-What do you mean "being broadcast live!?" Is this some kind of joke!?" Taka's face had understandably gone pale.

"D-Don't tell me-!" Kyoko cupped her mouth, more shocked than anyone had ever seen her before "you hijacked the radio waves and broadcast signals to show everyone outside what's going on in here!?"

"What is this, the fuckin' Truman Show!?" Mondo screamed "I don't give two shits how powerful you are, that ain't fucking possible!"

"Isn't the very fact that your minds are blown by that just goes to show how little you guys know about the world we live in," Monokuma smirked confidently "as long as you know a trick or two, hijacking radio signals is easy as 1, 2, 3!"

"Y-You mean...!?" Chihiro trembled, his legs feeling like they were going to give way at any moment "this is for real...!?"

"Well, lemme put it this way," Monokuma grinned "I might be beary evil, and all that stuff, but let's be honest. I haven't lied to you one single time since we met, have I? At least, not about anything that really mattered."

Chihiro could feel his nerves become stiff, creaking and groaning together so much and so hard that they made a slightly audible noise. An unpleasant one at that.

"There was meaning...in everything..." Mukuro's eyes darkened "he left us hints to tackle the academies mysteries, and even somehow lured us into this room...And you did all that...just to keep the audience engaged?"

"Of course!" Monokuma explained "it was all for the sake of the audience, following the unparalleled display of live, public despair! As the director of DEP, this was the least I could do!"

"DEP?" Kyoko parroted.

"Oh, it stands for Despair Entertainment Productions" it's out company. Our slogan is "Real Despair Entertainment!" and what kind of extreme reality program gets more extreme than this!?"

"This is an even bigger lie than the whole "this place isn't so bad" thing from before!" Taka snapped "even if you've flexed your power over this place in front of us before, there's no way that you hijacked the broadcast to show this killing game! If you did, then someone would have come to help by now! The government, the police, even random civilians!"

"Taka's right!" Mondo growled "we all got friends and family outside that'd try 'an help us! There ain't no fucking way my gang wouldn't come for me if they knew I was trapped here!"

"Puhuhu! Who's to say they haven't...?" Monokuma asked crypticly "but in the end, this isn't their problem. Even if someone shouted "Oh no, they're in danger" it's not like they'd go out of their way to rescue you, would they? That's just how most people are, not that I really understand, or want to at all."

"Hijacking and broadcasting such an event on public broadcast waves would require astronomical funding and equipment...!" Kyoko was still shocked "why go so far?"

"That's a secret!" Monokuma smiled "besides, even if I did tell you, you guys still have your work cut out for you right now, don't you?"

"We...we what?" Chihiro asked.

"Oh come on," Monokuma said "you're the one who brought it up earlier. Sorry, if you could just excuse me for just a few seconds."

Monokuma suddenly vanished, and all of a sudden, the chilling chime of the school bell rang out, with his ursine face appearing on the TV monitor.