All-Star Apologies: Part 10

As soon as these words left Kyoko's mouth, Chihiro began to panic. He scrambled around and frantically opened every other locker, hoping to god that he may have put the laptop in the wrong one by accident.

"No way...!" Chihiro felt as if his heart was going to stop when he realized that the laptop was in fact gone "did...Did the mastermind find out...!?"

"No, I don't think so," Kyoko explained "remember, Alter Ego would've screamed if they'd been found by someone that they didn't recognize. If it was the mastermind, they would have screamed."

"M-Maybe we missed it!?" Chihiro stammered.

"We were together yesterday, checking up on them, and I've been in the laundry room for quite a while since yesterday. I couldn't have missed it." Kyoko assured him "I also came here yesterday and warned them about Mukuro. I had everything planned out."

"So...You guys really did come..." Kyoko and Chihiro froze in place as they suddenly heard the sound of a third person standing in the doorway. They both turned, and came to face the Ultimate Lucky Student himself.

"M-Makoto? What are you-!" Chihiro cut himself short, as he suddenly noticed that Makoto was carrying the laptop with Alter Ego underneath his arm.

"Give that back." Kyoko snapped quietly, her face tense and stern.

"I'm sorry," Makoto sighed "but I'm the one with the laptop. That you've been keeping from us this whole time. I'm the one with all the cards on the table. What makes you think you can ask things like that of me?"

"Did I phrase it as a question?" Kyoko asked "I'm not asking you Naegi. I'm telling you."

"So?" Makoto asked "doesn't change my point. Or did you really think I was too dumb to notice that the two of you always hold secret meetings in this place? If that's not suspicious, I don't know what is..."

There was silence and tension in the air for what felt like a long time, even though it was only a matter of a few minutes. After it was up, Makoto sighed.

"Fine..." he said "here. Take it."

"Huh?" Chihiro asked "y-you're actually giving it back?"

"I came in here to investigate because I got suspicious of the two of you," Makoto explained "that's when I found this laptop. I took it back to my room and hid it in my bathroom, to see if you two were hiding anything on it. All I found was that Alter Ego thing on it. They told me what was going on, and how you're trying to find a way out together...It took me a while to actually believe what it was saying, but...I guess I jumped to conclusions...We ended up having a conversation for a while after, and then I decided that it wasn't sketchy, and planned to give it back..."

Chihiro cautiously took the laptop from Makoto.

"Still though," he said "it's pretty poor, don't you think? You're the one who's always trying to promote teamwork, and yet you've been keeping all of this to yourself? I know that that isn't the case, but it really feels like the two of you are looking for a way out and planning to leave everyone behind."

Chihiro, nor Kyoko, could come up with any sort of witty response to this. However, as Makoto sighed, nodded to make his peace, and began to leave, Chihiro scuttled after him and grabbed his sleeve before he left.

"Makoto," Chihiro said "wait. Just...stop for a second."

"Leave me alone Chihiro," he said "this conversation is done. I've made my statement, and now I just want to go back to my room and sleep."

"That's the problem!" Chihiro exclaimed "I can't leave you be! That's what everyone else is doing!"

"Then why don't you start taking notes?" Makoto shook his sleeve away from Chihiro, only for Kyoko to grab his shoulder.