Ultimate Despair: Part 12 [Deadly Life]

A short while before this was happening, Chihiro was back up at the second floor dorms, and was now in what appeared to be a locker room of some kind. If his assumptions were correct, these lockers were likely used by either staff, or students that had came before their class. Like the rest of the second floor, spare the Headmaster's room, it looked like it had been nuked, and was completely in tatters. No matter how you sliced it, there were several there that just weren't going to open, no matter how hard you tried. Either the door was too bent out of place, or giant iron plates were hammered into them, like the ones that covered the windows to the school. Chihiro, wislely, approached one of the doors that wasn't either, but when trying to open it, the door wouldn't budge. It's here he noticed that there was a card reader just above the handle, likely one that controlled the lock. Chihiro easily recognized the card reader, as it was about the same as the ones that were outside the pool changing rooms. Those readers were activated by the E-Handbook's, so Chihiro figured that he could try that. He tried to swipe his own E-Handbook, and unfortunately, it didn't work. 

"It probably only works with the owners handbook, so mine might not come in a lot of use...But...wait...didn't Kyoko give me that thing?"

Chihiro pulled out the emergency handbook that Kyoko had found in the Headmaster's hidden room and gave to him. He swiped the handbook over the locker, and to his relief, the locker unlocked.

"Bingo..." Chihiro smirked.

Chihiro quickly went around and searched all of the lockers that he could open with the handbook. Most of them were empty, but eventually he did come across something peculiar. It was a single notebook with a leather cover on it. Who the notebook belonged to was a mystery, since there was no name on the cover, but Chihiro was curious as to what it was that was written inside.

"Sorry to whoever this belongs to, but I'm taking a look..."

Chihiro quietly said this, opened the book and examined the writing. Judging from the way it looked, it appeared to be a girls. Every letter was perfectly sized and shaped, almost like they'd been measured out. Whoever wrote this must have been pretty methodical. Chihiro's hands flipped through the pages when all of a sudden...he stopped...

Chihiro let out a small gasp as some familiar words appeared on the page. In order to assure what he was reading was right, he read the words aloud to himself.

"I decided to speak directly with the man who proposed the project. The project to convert Hope's Peak Academy into a shelter for students to live together. My father...the Hope's Peak Headmaster...said this in response. "The project's goal is to provide sanctuary for the brilliant minds who are our hope for the future. Only Nature's Blessed can overcome Nature's Wrath, and only Hope can overcome Despair. To say this is our countries last hope would be no exaggeration...We must isolate our most exceptional youth from this tainted world to form the cornerstone for our future. That, and that alone, is our last Hope...And I would like you to be a part of it." That's what my father said. He's as self-centered and inconsiderate of other's opinions as always...He really is a despicable father..."

No way...

Chihiro silently dropped the notebook. It was now obvious who had written the notebook. It was Kyoko's, it couldn't be anyone else's. But if this was Kyoko's notebook, why was it inside this locker? Furthermore, the contents of the notebook didn't line up with what she'd told him. Kyoko said that she hadn't seen her father since he left her at her home when she was a child. If the notebook was accurate though, Kyoko had apparently spoken to him prior to this point...

Chihiro was beginning to feel doubtful, but then remembered that until very recently, Kyoko's memories had been wiped by the Mastermind. If she had had any interaction with the Headmaster, she might have forgotten about it. Just to be sure, Chihiro scrambled to pick up the notebook again and flipped quickly through the other pages, looking for any other clues, and hopefully clear up the doubt...And it was then that he reached the final page. The final pages were different from the rest. Instead of the neat handwriting the other pages contained, and was instead, large, hurried scribbled writing, spread out across each page.