Chapter 10 :: Settled ; A New Arc Begins: The Chunin Exams!

Edited: 10/06/2022

"The blood won't come off....the blood won't come off....why won't it come off?"

She scrubbed at her hands, nails piercing into her skin in an attempt to remove the red stains that covered them. Tears pricked the corners of her eyes, watching the blood-stained water flow through the sink.

From the corner, Ao watched her, an almost sad glimmer in the cat's eyes. It slinked forward, purring quietly while it rubbed its head against her leg in the hopes of calming her down. The only result was the girl sinking to her knees, clutching at her necklace and struggling to hold back tears.

"Why can't I get it off? Why can't I get it off?!"

"She is a shinobi," the older man snapped from his seat. He glared at his superior, the only visible eye on his face that wasn't covered by bandages twitching ever so slightly. "I don't see why you're making a fuss about this, Hiruzen. It was bound to happen either way."

"And she is a child!" The Hokage retorted. "A genin no less. I'm well aware that sooner or later she would've had to face the real consequences of becoming a shinobi, as everyone else must at a certain age, but she is still a child." He sighed, pinching his nose bridge to ease his incoming migraine. "Like it or not, a B ranked mission was no place for a genin. Especially one who's just graduated. I have every right to be angry, Danzo."

The shinobi kneeling before them winced. Even though they were still used to the Third's scoldings (at least in Yachi's case), it was still extremely rare for the old man to lose his temper, at least with them. Additionally, it only added more to the guilt they felt after the mission's completion.

Isamu couldn't argue with either logic. On one hand, Danzo was right: she was a shinobi. She should've known what she was getting herself into when she signed up to be a ninja. On the other hand, the Hokage had a point. They should've waited at least a month or two before starting her off in anything too risky or major.