Chapter 31 :: Pins And Needles

Edited: 11/06/2022

Edited: 11/06/2022

The match was over. Gaara was declared the victor, and yet despite all that, he didn't seem to care. His intimidating persona reminded her of Kanao's, except Kanao actually seemed to care about Rock Lee's wellbeing when Gaara's sand had nearly injured him. In the end, Lee was taken away to the infirmary, and Gaara returned to his siblings. His bloodlust had somehow grown more than it had at their first meeting, and she prayed that she would never have to go up against the boy.

All that was left was the two shinobi from the Rain and two shinobi from the Leaf. Two more rounds before the preliminaries would be over. When Aya had questioned Haruki about their participation, they admitted that they didn't wish to participate, and had also given up at the last second. They were more eager to watch and observe from the sidelines, and she figured that she wouldn't judge the boy for fear of further annoying him.

"How's Itama?" She glanced at the boy beside her. Annoyance and worry was written across his features, but they were switched to one of nonchalance at her question. Kawarama shrugged in response and ran his fingers through his hair.

"He'll be okay," he replied calmly. "But I'd be more worried about yourself if I were you." He smirked at her confused expression and nodded towards the panel. She turned her head―

Aya Inoue

VS

Chiaki Tokugawa

―and a noise emitted from the back of the throat that sounded more of an animal dying from surprise. Kawarama sweatdropped at her surprised expression, his eyes flickering back to the pink-haired Rain shinobi who had stepped forward, her eyes glaring at her name on the screen. "That Chiaki girl doesn't seem to like you that much."

YOU DON'T SAY

"I know," She inhaled. "I―god, I know. We've met before, and how I'm still alive is still surprising me." She sighed at his questioning expression and buried her head in her hands. Her screams were muffled as she placed herself on the floor and rolled around in pain. Her actions earned her some stares from her friends, but at the moment she didn't care about anyone's opinions. She was too busy planning her early funeral.