Chapter 36 :: A Visitor From The Land Of Contracts! Chongyun The Exorcist!

Yuno stared at the ceiling, the way the branches of a tree growing in the courtyard made shadowy figures that danced across the room. There was nothing to accompany him save himself, and his own thoughts.

His mind wandered to his brother. Hayate had paid him a visit a few days before, making sure he was well and alright and assuring him that there was always next year if he wished to try for the chunin exams again.

Hayate trusted him, had faith in him, and Yuno wanted to be the same, but his mind kept wandering. Worry filled his gut and he peered out the glass window into the empty night, his brows furrowing into a frown.

'I shouldn't be worried,' he scolded himself. 'Big brother's strong. He wouldn't be a jounin if he wasn't. But still,' A cold chill ran up his spine. He shuddered. 'I should be. Who knows what could happen to him out there?'

He bit his lip.

'No, Hayate is fine. Get some rest, we'll talk with him tomorrow.'

His eyes closed.

'Big brother Hayate...will be fine....'

"Ah, your hair is really pretty. Wanna know something? I've always had a thing for plain, ordinary girls. They're just so easy to handle."

A grin.

"But there's nothing ordinary about you now, is there? I mean, other than this hair of yours."

A shudder.

"I just want to lock you away forever. Would you like that? Would you love to spend eternity with me, my little genin?"

A gasp of fear.

Aya immediately threw off her covers, her pupil-less eyes dilated with fear. For a while she could hear nothing except the thumping of her heartbeat accelerating, and her eyes quickly scanned her empty and desolate room, Ao sleeping at the foot of her bed.