Chapter 70 :: Sasuke Uchiha

A few nights later, Aya went for a walk in the middle of the night

She couldn't help it―something was bothering her, and Ao's shrieks with the neighbor's cat were no help, so perhaps a good night's stroll would do her some good. She should've walked with a jacket now that she was out in the middle of the streets―curse her stubbornness―and she continued.

The world was almost ethereal at night, with nothing save nature itself playing its part. Everyone was asleep, or should be asleep, and the world was silent and still. It was almost as if Death had passed and whisked everyone away, leaving nothing but stillness.

She both loved and hated it.

The feeling wouldn't leave. She happened to stumble on the only road that led to the outside world, out of Konoha, and she decided that she would walk upon it as she had done many times before, with her coming to and fro with her teammates and friends alike.

The moon only stared, and she in turn stared right back with a mutual fondness and respect, and she swore she could see a rabbit like pattern on its surface, like the story of the Jade Rabbit and the heart-woven tale of Chang'e.

It was by coincidence that she happened upon a crying Sakura and an unbothered Sasuke, the latter who had a traveling bag on his back. Despite what the world would say, Aya Inoue was no fool. She only played the part as one for her own entertainment, and she was easily able to put two and two together.

She listened with a guilt in her chest how Sakura confessed and cried to the Uchiha, and the Uchiha never caring for her words. Oh, the poor girl wailed and tried―bargaining, denying, agreeing―anything to get the boy to listen, and he never cared. She never intervened, knowing that it wasn't in her place, and only watched with a heavy heart.

Listening to her words, Aya realized that she was a different case―unlike Sakura, she was never a part of Team 7. She never suffered through the hardships like they did, nor did she drink and laugh and cry with this specific group of ninja. She would never understand, but perhaps Sakura might.

I should leave― She heaved out a sigh, glancing at the cloud-covered moon. Its light was gone now, but she knew it would return, one way or another and―Oh, the noise is gone.