Chapter 50 :: Pushed To The Edge!

Well, I'm never gonna recover from this, the clone thinks, head peeking out from her corner in the trees. She spots Sasuke's presence just a couple of feet away, though whether or not the boy has spotted her she couldn't tell. She does know that he attempts to attack, which was all for naught when his kunai was absorbed into the sandy-brown appendage, earning a maniacal cackle from the feral redhead. She yelps, causing the boy to abruptly look in her direction, and she'd had moments to spare just before the branch she'd been standing on broke into a million pieces. Mentally or physically.

Sasuke is gone, probably hiding to plan his next attack. Thank goodness for that, because she was stuck in a few branches up ahead and her heartbeat thumped loudly in her ears, blocking out most of her inner voice. She was sure the redhead could probably smell her fear.

The boy howls in pain, clutching his head in pure agony. He mumbles something to himself, and she notes that his shadow flickers momentarily, a picture of confusion emanating from it.

There's a figure that appears beside him. She almost assumes it is Temari with the familiar blond hair, but it turns out this figure was more translucent, taller and more kindly. They make brief eye contact through the layers of branches, and the clone takes note of how pretty her indigo colored eyes look in the sunlight. Her smile is sad as her gaze returns to the redhead, and a hand reaches out to touch his hair. It fazes through and the figure disappears as if it had never existed.

Aya blinked just as the boy roars with rage and fury, smashing several and even uprooting the trees that had for years stood in the forest. A small shiver runs up her spine when he screeches Sasuke's name, and for a moment her cowardice begs her to run and leave the rest up to Sasuke.

But she couldn't. She shouldn't, and so with a heavy heart she leaves her hiding spot, moving swiftly through the trees to catch up with the frothing Gaara. A cry grows heavy on her tongue when the feral boy takes notice of her, his smile gowing and the rational part of her brain is screaming Why, why must you do this to us? Haven't we suffered enough you dumb worm―and she just really wants to go home and never wake up again, but she can't because it's her own fault for coming here anyway.