Chapter 17 :: Intervention! Third Member Down!

Edited: 11/06/2022

Edited: 11/06/2022

The necklace.

Aya recalled waking up one day with no memory or reminder of her past. Nothing that was, except for the odd, crystal necklace that she wore around her neck. There was never a time in her life where she hadn't removed the jewel, always making sure to keep it hidden beneath her shirt to avoid any greedy eyes.

She'd all but forgotten about it as she hoisted Naruto over her back, and navigated her way to where Sakura was. If there was anyone who might have a clue on how to handle the situation, it would've been here, Team 7's smartest member. She gently rested the blond on his back, making her makeshift pillow with her orange-red jacket for his head to rest on. The necklace's crystal caught what little light could be seen in the forest, giving off a rainbow like hue as it sparkled.

"Sakura," She glanced at the pinkett. "Shouldn't we do something? Sasuke...what if he gets hurt against that freak?" She frowned, gripping the crystal in silent prayer. "Shouldn't we intervene?"

The girl sighed, and Aya felt bad for her. Naruto was down, Sasuke was stuck in combat and heaven knew what the outcome could be, and here she was acting like a lost child without their parents. She shouldn't need to depend on the girl, but yet―

"I think it's best if we don't intervene," she replied firmly. She forced a smile at her surprised expression and placed a hand against hers, giving her a reassuring squeeze to calm her down. "I know you're just as worried about Sasuke as I am, I can see it. But we can't afford to just...rush in without thinking." She sighed once again. "I feel bad knowing that he's risking his life against that freak, but I have faith in him. And you should too, you know?" Her green eyes glanced in the direction where a loud explosion was heard, and she frowned. "If something happens, then we'll both head in together. I know we're no match against that guy, but at least we'll be able to protect Sasuke and Naruto." She glanced at her once again, and the smaller girl nodded her head in understanding.

Still, Her gray eyes stared at the marks covering her friend's face. What if something goes wrong? Then what? I don't want you getting hurt Sakura: it's bad enough that Naruto got injured because I was too much of a coward to fight and now Sasuke