Chapter 34 :: A New Training Regime Begins

Edited: 11/06/2022

Three days had passed before she was finally allowed to leave the hospital. Other than her injured leg (which she swore to the Hokage was fine), her wounds had almost completely healed and so with a not-so-heavy heart she was free to leave the hospital. She knew someone had come to visit her sometime during the day, but she was either sleeping or lost in thought to try and recall the memory.

She knew that the old man knew something was wrong, especially with the way she tried to convince the nurses not to examine her. The fresh new bruises that littered her skin that certainly hadn't been there before.

Still she lied and persisted. He bought her sorry excuse that she'd fallen off the bed and agreed to let her leave with the agreement that she would return once every week to keep an eye on that injury on her foot. Though the wound was already beginning a healing process and closing the gaping, bloodied hole, it still hurt and bled when she stood on it for too long.

It hurt, sure, but it was nothing compared to what she was feeling at the moment.

She would scrub and scrub at her skin, quiet sobs filling the empty bathroom of her apartment, constantly muttering, "I'm dirty, he's made me dirty," until her skin was red and sore and ready to bruise at any second. These she covered up with her jacket, which she had soon begun to wear fully zipped to hide the bruise on her stomach.

This isn't fair, she would think, staring at her mocking reflection in the mirror. It smiled, its head tilting to the left and its fingers tugging at her lips and forced a smile, laughing at her for being so pathetic. Fresh tears welled up in her eyes and spilled as she broke down, smothering her face in her hands. This isn't fair!! Why...why am I so pathetic and weak?! It's not fair!!

Later on, when the world was quiet and nothing was about save a few stars in the dark sky, she stared at the ceiling. It was a warm night, and yet somehow the feeling of shadowy fingers dancing along her skin, grasping and grabbing at her body caused her to throw the blankets over her head and curl up into a small ball, ignoring their shadows that watched over her in mock sympathy and pity.