Chapter 75 :: Regret

The two friends stared at each other wearily; Aya with pity in her eyes and Naruto with guilt and sadness

The two friends stared at each other wearily; Aya with pity in her eyes and Naruto with guilt and sadness. They were accompanied by Shikamaru, the Sasuke Retrieval Squad's leader, Sakura, trying to deny the situation, and Tsunade, who hadn't spoken a word since entering the hospital room.

"Aya―" Naruto started, but she stopped him with a wave of her hand, a small smile on her face.

"Don't even," she scolded lightly. "I'm so mad at you right now. I mean, look at you! You got yourself all beaten up, and for what, huh? You dumbass, I was so worried about you that I couldn't even think straight!" She moved closer, and Naruto flinched, expecting a light smack from the girl. Instead, he received a hug, her head resting on his shoulder to hide her tears. "I hate you, I hate you so much. You're always making me cry, you jerk. You and...and that stupid Sasuke."

The blond heaved out a sigh of relief, his own arms wrapping around her body with some difficulty. He patted her hair gently, his lips quirking into a smile. "Yeah yeah, you say that and yet you can't live without me," he muttered in a teasing tone. "I'm sorry, really. I couldn't stop Sas―"

"The hell are you on about?" She raised her head to give him a blank stare. "I mean...yeah, Sasuke made me cry, but this got nothin' to do with him y'know. I'm worried about you, you idiot. What if you had died, huh? What was I supposed to do then, tell me! I care about you, and look at you now!"

Naruto simply smiled sheepishly, reaching out to poke at his best friend's puffed cheeks.

"Sorry, sorry," he laughed. "But ya know me―I can't die unless my best friend's dying with me! We're going down together, am I right?"

"Damn right!"

The others rolled their eyes at the friends' interactions, Sakura's mood greatly improving. She sighed, wondering what she did to deserve to be paired with idiots like these, and then decided that perhaps it was worth it in the end.

"Man, you know what I could use right now?" The blond pouted. "A nice bowl of ramen. Fresh from Ichiraku's."

Aya sighed in response, shaking her head at her friend's cravings, though she decided not to judge. Ramen was delicious, just as long as you don't slurp it down every god-damn day, like her best friend.