Chapter 43 :: The Loser Prevails! A Battle Of Wits And Fists!

The crowd's demands kept increasing. Now that Shizake's match was over, they all were more than excited to pay witness to Sasuke's own battle, and they argued and yelled among themselves.

In an attempt to keep their desires satisfied, the fifth match continued with the other candidates, with many hoping the Uchiha would make an appearance soon before it was too late.

This was the one match Aya wasn't too eager to be in. Kanao had already entered the arena, her face devoid of emotion and her hand propped against the hilt of her sword. Her dark lilac eyes glanced towards her as she stepped forward, and a small part of the Inoue regretted the exams.

Actually, Aya had been regretting the exams the minute they had started. But it was too late to turn back now anyway. At least, if she was going to fail, then she would fail by giving it her all.

Kanao's older sister and Hanako were watching from the stands. Though Hanako was still upset by her own defeat in preliminaries, Saeko, unlike her sister, cheered her on by explaining that she would get her chance next year. For now, they would watch and wait.

Genma nodded at the girls to start and took a step back from the main area. The girls only stared at each other, a bead of sweat appearing on Aya's forehead and a blank expression on Kanao's, her eyes following the butterfly that fluttered along her hands.

"You know," Kanao began, her eyes never tearing away from the insect. "My family is standing over there. They're watching and waiting for my obvious victory. I don't see anyone cheering you on now, do I?"

She struck a nerve, and she knew it. Her pink lips twitched into smirk at the expression on Aya's face, oblivious to the fact that she was all but tricking her into losing her cool and rushing headfirst into the battle.

"No, you're wrong," Aya replied curtly. "I've still got Naruto's dumbass over there." She tilted her head towards the railings, to the obnoxious blond staring down at them eagerly. Seeing the girl's attention on him, Naruto grinned and gave a thumbs-up, earning an irritated sigh from the Tsuyuri and a smile from the Inoue girl. "I dunno what you're tryna pull here, but it's not gonna work." She made a face. "I don't get you. You were super nice to Lee in the hospital, weren't you? But you're such a bitch to me."