Chapter 24 :: A Cousin's Worth, An Inoue's Worry

Edited: 11/06/2022

Edited: 11/06/2022

Aya honestly believed that all hope was lost the minute the fight began. Sasuke was obviously in pain, and if that wasn't obvious he wasn't even able to use his Sharingan or any type of jutsu to help himself out. Although he managed to floor Yoroi with ease, it soon became evident that the Uchiha might not stand a chance against the older, taller opponent.

What made it worse, she noted, was that this Yoroi, whoever he was, had some kind of power that allowed him to somehow absorb chakra. At least, that's what she'd made out from the tit-bits of conversation that were passed on between the two. Her nails dug into her arm as they continued to watch, all while praying and hoping that Sasuke would simply surrender and seek help right away. As much as she claimed to dislike the boy, she'd be lying if she said she never cared about his safety.

The final straw came when Sasuke was on the losing streak. His movements were slow and weak, which no doubt was due to Yoroi's little trick of stealing his chakra, or something of that sort. She leaned over the railing, already preparing herself to intervene in the battle when someone stopped her.

"I wouldn't do that," Shizake spoke harshly, pressing his hand on her shoulder. "Even if you intervene, he's not gonna back down. That's how I've always been, and that's how he will be as well." His dark eyes narrowed, as if trying to read her for a minute before they flickered back onto the match. "Besides, they wouldn't allow you to do it anyway. You'll only get in the way."

She looked at him questionably. Unlike their earlier interactions, this time he seemed more annoyed. More Uchiha-like than she'd imagined. Now that she had a good look at him, it really was no surprise he was related to Sasuke of all people.

"He's in danger," she snapped, slapping his hand away. "Look at him! He's about to pass out at any given moment! Do you want him to die?!" She ignored the glances the other genins sent in her direction and huffed, her attention returning to the match at hand. At the moment, Sasuke seemed to have gotten the upper hand, kicking Yoroi away from him as far as possible. It wasn't as reassuring, but it was good to see the boy avoiding his opponent's attacks.