Chapter 72 :: The Smell Of Snakes

"You were serious?" She blinked, her confusion evident in her eyes. She glanced around the room, hoping to see anyone, anything that would reveal that this entire situation was one big joke and that the Fifth Hokage would burst out laughing, sending her out to do whatever errands she hadn't finished as yet. Unfortunately, the room was in fact serious, a stern expression on Tsunade's face.

Isamu had told her just this morning that the Hokage had wished to see her, and so when she'd entered the office expecting another D-class mission or another errand to run for Tsunade to herself, she was taken off-guard by the blonde calling her in and mentioning the topic of medical ninjutsu.

It wasn't a serious issue, sure, but she wondered why the village elders still had to be present despite the fact that there was only one measly genin standing before them, standing before the Fifth Hokage.

"Yes," the woman answered simply. "I have every reason to believe that your skills would be perfect for medical ninjutsu. As you already know, the village is still under a lot of pressure, with more missions being sent in than we can count. We need every ninja, no matter the ranking, at hand, with a few to stay and guard the village should another attack occur. That being said, I've noticed that we're lacking in a considerable amount of medical shinobi―the few that we have are either indisposed or out on missions with their platoons as we speak."

Aya grimaced. Her, a medical ninja? Absolutely not.

"So...why not train someone else?"

"Because we don't have the time to wait. To learn medical ninjutsu takes a lot of practice and effort, not to mention the stamina and strength it takes to beat those books 24/7, all day and night with little rest. I myself had to take a while before I could even excel in my medical ninjutsu, and the same to Shizune. However, you've always been a quick learner, even better than some prodigies your age. While you're low in the brains compartment―"

"―Excuse me?"

"―You're still easy to catch onto, and even quicker to learn and apply it to your day to day life. Plus, I wasn't kidding when I said that I wanted you to be my legacy, you know."