Chapter 37 :: A Wilting Flower Of Hope

"Chongyun, I'm scared of blood."

The male had gone on a full explanation on how summonings work, saying him summoning Mizuchi here was an example on how to use the jutsu. Aya knew he had the best intentions when the dragon produced a large scroll from its mouth and he urged her to nip at her thumb in order to draw blood and sign the contract, but she couldn't help but feel slightly nauseated at the thought. She ended up blurting the phrase out before either had a chance to respond, causing the man to go quiet.

Mizuchi scoffed but said nothing. She frowned at his silence, wondering if she'd annoyed the man enough for him to want to leave.

Instead though, Chongyun only smiled and patted her shoulder in comfort.

"That's alright, just close your eyes!" He responded cheerfully.

Aya looked at him blankly.

"You're joking, right?"

"Do you wanna become stronger?"

"Well, yeah."

"Then bite your thumb, close your eyes, and leave the rest to me."

He looked so confident and sure of himself that Aya finally caved in, shakingly placing her right thumb inside of her mouth and squeezing her eyes shut. She bite into the tender flesh and winces at the feeling of her skin bursting, the warm, metallic taste of blood on the tip of her tongue.

She grimaced and removed her finger, ignoring the red spot that was beginning to blossom from her cut. She looked at Chongyun expectantly.

"Alright, now if you don't mind..." He trailed off, moving behind the small girl. Unfazed by his actions, he grabbed at her bleeding hand and moved her bleeding thumb towards the empty parchment, hesitating almost. "Uh, what character do you write your name with?"

Aya rolled her eyes. With her free hand she drew the pattern of アヤ on the male's palm, to which he memorized and continued with his actions.

He pressed the bleeding thumb into the parchment and with slow, but delicate strokes, he directed her hand to write her name on the scroll. He all but smiled to himself, recalling the memory of his first time signing a contract, and pulled away once the girl's full name was written on full display in the parchment.