Chapter 29 :: The Thirteenth Match

Edited: 11/06/2022

Edited: 11/06/2022

Sumire Akimichi

VS

Kanao Tsuyuri

The words blinked brightly on the panel, signaling the beginning of the next round. Members from the opponents respective teams glanced at each other, and Haruki made a face at Hanako.

In the stands where the Hokage, and the many other important figures in the Hidden Leaf sat, a low murmur began to rise between them, as members of the Tsuyuri household leaned forward to witness the thirteenth match.

"You okay?" The few genins that gathered around Aya frowned, and Naruto patted her back comfortingly. Her hands were covering her face and her breathing was slow and ragged, as if she was coming down from a panic attack. When the 12th round was over, they'd found the girl huddled in a corner and shivering despite the humid temperature in the stadium.

Eventually, she parted her hands and gave her friends a half-hearted nod and a forced smile, one which did not go unnoticed by the girl's best friend. He pouted at her sudden change of behavior, but decided to wait until the exams were over to question her about it, if he could remember that is.

The group dispersed, eager to bear witness to the thirteenth match, leaving the two behind. Naruto extended a hand for Aya to take before helping her on her feet.

"You sure you're doing alright?" The blond questioned as they leaned on the railings. He noticed that her hands were still, if slightly, trembling and he frowned. "You can talk to me ya know."

"I'm fine," she sighed out. She gave the boy a once-over and reached over to pinch his arm. "You don't have to worry about me, you know. I'm awesome."

He rolled his eyes at her words. "Yeah, sure. Keep dreaming, and I'll leave you in the dust."

"Sure, Mr-Wannabe-Hokage."

Sumire sighed at her name in bright, yellow letters on the panel. It's not like she didn't want to fight, but she was growing so comfortable on her seat in the corner and didn't feel like getting up. Unfortunately, Haruki being who they are, she had no choice but to get off her butt and make her way to the arena where her opponent, a dark haired girl with lilac colored eyes who was giving her a completely emotionless smile.