Chapter 74 :: The Twin Dragons

Scales of dazzling gold and red, with an occasional darkish-pink and white here and there filling her vision

Scales of dazzling gold and red, with an occasional darkish-pink and white here and there filling her vision. She blinked at golden yellow eyes staring at her through thin slits, and she almost fell against the ground below out of her own surprise. The dragons that had been summoned were probably no bigger than an average housecat―one was a mixture of gold and red, the same gold-yellow eyes she'd been staring into. The other was larger with a mixture of reddish-pink and white, with equally red eyes staring at her with mischief in them. The gold-red one opened his mouth in a yawn, showing off his large and pointed teeth.

"Neh, Asa?" The gold-red dragon's head tilted towards the other dragon. "Where are we?"

"Neh, Homura, we've been summoned!" The other, Asa, responded cheerfully. "I'm so excited―Mr. Mizuchi has been yelling at us for some time now about not getting summoned, and now we are!! Isn't this exciting, Homura?"

"No," Homura seemed to sigh. "It is not. I mean, we're dragons, aren't we? If anything it should be the human who should be..er...excited? Yeah, excited that he could even summon us!!"

"Eh..." The opposing dragon frowned slightly before turning a whiskered head in the direction of its summoner, a confused Aya Inoue. "It's you, right? Neh, I'm Asagao, and this is my younger brother, Homura. We are your―drumroll please―summonings!!" She had a completely different personality in contrast to her supposed younger brother. Wait, dragons have siblings? "So uh, what now?"

"What the fuck?" Aya exclaimed bluntly. "It works?? I thought Chongyun was just fucking around with me, holy shit―"

Homura grimaced at her words and side-eyed his sister. "Oh this one, I don't like this one. Listen kid, us dragons are THE pride and joy of the Summoning world. We've been around since the era of Six Paths! Snakes tremble and―"

"―We're, unfortunately, arrogant, prideful, boastful and lazy," Asagao interrupted with an apologetic look. "I assure you not all of us are like that, but the ones that ARE summoned tend to act high and mighty because...you know. Dragons. Neh, but it's a pleasure to meet you...uh...?"

Right. Why did Aya decide to use the summoning jutsu again?

"Aya." She shook her head. "Just...just call me Aya."