CHAPTER 5 - THE ASSIGNMENT

"I will put you behind the bars."

The man almost pees to his shorts and his trembling hand swiftly gets the money. He looks at the man in a black leather jacket and shows his middle finger before he leaves.

The police just shook his head and returned to his car. He looked at his wristwatch and almost cursed because the meeting will probably start before he arrives at the station.

Thank God! The conference was delayed and will start after five minutes.

"SPO2 Alfarez, I heard some rumors or should I say a fact?" Police whispered to SPO2 Alfarez. He is the most reliable source of information in their department and he's a good friend of Timotheus, SPO1 Arnon Mojares.

"You and SPO2 Ferran will get promoted and guess what officer?" He said while moving his eyebrows up and down, as if he was trying to make fun of SPO2 Alfarez.

"What?" He raised his eyebrow.

"In the same ceremony. It's exciting, right?" The police laughed. "You should treat us to a fine restaurant. Haha."

Timotheus clenched his fist, left the police without a word, and proceeded to the meeting room. Everyone was gathered there and the Chief of Police, Mauricio Centeno, in their station was in the center.

"We are all gathered here because I want to announce some good news." He paused a little and looked around. "Officer Timotheus Alfarez and Officer Simeon Ferran will get their promotion at the end of this month."

They gave them a round of applause. Alfarez and Ferran looked at each other with an annoyed face. They can't believe they will be promoted in the same period.

Chief Centeno discussed important matters and before he ended the meeting, "Another thing, everyone may continue to work on your handled cases except for SPO2 Alfarez. I have a special assignment for you. Do you have an ongoing case?"

"I just finished it earlier so I'm willing to grab this opportunity to handle a special assignment."

"Good."

Everyone gave Alfarez a questioning look but he just shrugged his shoulders because even he doesn't have an idea what the case is all about.

"I need you to investigate the issue about our largest farm here in San Lorenzo, The FarmLand. There are lots of farm animals that died because of unknown causes. I need a report as soon as possible."

"Sir yes sir!"

"Good. The meeting is ad---"

"Why don't you give me that assignment Chief? I can handle it and give you a report in a week if you let me." Said SPO2 Ferran.

"Hm... Do you want to be his partner then?" Chief asked with a smirk on his lips.

"No!" They both answered and glared at each other. Everyone almost laughed but restrained themselves from doing it. Alfarez and Ferran are the most famous rivals in their department.

"Alright. Officer Alfarez will handle the Farm case and the rest, you may take care of your cases. The meeting is adjourned. SPO2 Alfarez follow me." The Chief left the meeting room first and then followed by them.

"'We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.' Good luck with your new case." Senior Police Officer II Simeon Ferran sarcastically said before he left the room.

In Chief's office, Alfarez was waiting for his Chief to finish chatting with an important caller on the phone.

"Thank you." The call ended and then he sat on his swivel chair to face Alfarez. "This is an important case Alfarez and I put my trust in you."

"I won't let you down," Alfarez answered with confidence.

"That's good to hear. Well---" The knock on the door interrupted the Chief. "Yes? Come in." Someone wearing a black leather jacket entered the Chief's Office. "Hm... You're here. Have a seat. Have a seat." SPO2 Alfarez stared at the slightly familiar person.

"You..." Alfarez confusedly looked at the man who just entered the Chief's office. "You must be the man who argued in front of the supermarket a while ago."

"Well, have you already met?" The Chief glanced at the two.

"Yes, Chief." Both of them answered.

"Nice to hear that." The Chief cleared his throat. "By the way, Senior Police Officer II Timotheus Alfarez, he is Senior Police Officer II Danryll De Vega, your new partner." Chief Centeno announced that made SPO2 Alfarez still. He's not happy nor sad. He just showed a plain expression and nodded.

"I expect that you'll work together and give me a report about the new case. A.S.A.P."

"Sir yes sir."

+++

On the first day of their investigation, they interviewed the farmers who reported the case. Twenty cows and carabaos died because of an unknown reason and that's the thing they need to know first.

They casually communicated to each other as partners, and found nothing at all when they talked to the farmers.

When the day ended, SPO2 Alfarez bid his goodbye to his new partner. He went to a place where he can talk to someone so special to him.

"Hey, partner! I'm here." He put the flowers he bought on the gravestone.

"I just want to report some good news and maybe bad news too, I guess?" He paused for a second then continued. "I will be promoted soon. Well, it's our dream, right? But guess what? Ferran will get promoted too and it was really annoying."

He laughed as if it's a big joke but he stopped and looked up to prevent his hot tears from falling. "It's been five months since you left and they replaced you with someone else."

He touched the cold gravestone of his partner and also his best friend.

XXX

Senior Police Officer II Julsen Beltran

Born: July 25, 1978

Died: October 13, 2021

XXX

After a week of investigation, they found nothing. Even clues.

"We can't uncover the truth if we don't search for it. Is it just me or do you notice it too?" SPO2 De Vega asked while holding a pen and poked it to his cheek.

"That the farmers might hide something from us?"

"Exactly! I think there's a dark secret behind this case and we need to find this out." SPO2 De Vega said with a serious tone and SPO2 Alfarez just nodded and resumed writing on a scratch of paper.

'What are they hiding?'