CHAPTER 101 - THE DAUGHTER

"You're here. It's been a while honey." Maria was about to kiss her husband but he slightly pushed her.

"Is she awake?" Julsen asked pertaining to his child.

"Don't you miss me?" Dismay was written on Maria's eyes when her husband didn't give her at least a glance.

"Why would I?" His brows formed into and finally looked at her but with sharp eyes. "I want to see her. Open the door."

Maria had bloodshot eyes. She was hurt by the treatment she was receiving from her husband. They are not like before.

"Sweetie..." Julsen whispered and sat at the edge of her bed. "Hold on a little bit. Hm? Daddy would like to play with you again. We will play again after you regain your strength." A tear fell but he immediately wiped it away.

Maria was hopeful too that one day, her child will be as cheerful as before. People think that she just did everything horrible for herself but little did they know that she's just doing everything to find a cure for her dying child.

"How long will it be, Maria? It's been years." Julsen faced her, asking when will be the end of his daughter's suffering.

"I know. I know. Can't you see, I'm trying."

"Trying? By killing other people?" He tried his best not to shout and stay calm. Their child is just there. She might hear them arguing.

"We have... we have no choice." She brushed her hair with her fingers. "We need them for clinical trials."

"Julianna will never like the idea of—"

"I don't care. I want her to have a good life. Even..." She cried. "Even if only for a short period of time."

"Open your eyes, Maria!" Julsen slightly looked at his daughter, he might wake her up at any time. "Go outside and look. People are dying! This is not what we aim for."

"We're close to success, Julius Sean! Can't you just wait? That's what I only want, for you to be patient."

"I've been patient for a long time, Maria. Even our child. She's enduring everything."

"That's why I need your support. Why can't you just support me?!"

"Lower your voice. You might wake Julianna up."

"Mom... Dad..." Julianna weakly called her parents. The two both went beside her. "I know... I know that you're arguing."

"W-We're not sweetie." Maria held her hand and squeezed it a bit.

"D-Don't lie, mom. I know... that's enough. You two were tired because... because of me—"

"We will never be tired of taking care of you, sweetie. Don't think like that." Julsen kissed Julianna's forehead that made her close her eyes.

"You're tired and I am too... Thank you for staying with me... I... I want to rest."

"No. No, baby!" Maria cannot stop herself from crying in front of her daughter. "Please baby... Please don't leave mommy, hm? I... I will do everything just... just don't leave."

"Maria, stop that. You're just making things hard for our daughter. Stop crying." Julsen helped her to stand up.

"D-Don't cry, mommy. I don't want to see you cry."

Maria immediately wiped her tears when the door suddenly opened. The old man caught their attention.

"Oh, is this a reunion?"

"Dad." Julsen greeted his dad but the old man just tapped his shoulder and proceeded to his granddaughter.

"Hi angel! How are you?" He sat on the side of the bed like what Julsen did earlier.