CHAPTER 9 - THE FIRST CASE

"Ferran," someone called his name so he lost his deep thoughts. "Finally you're here. We need to get the statement of the rape victim, Georgia Ramos. She's now conscious according to the nurse who's in charge of taking care of her." Seconds passed before he recognized the man who's in front of him.

He is SPO1 Rouvie Sanchez, Ferran's partner, and friend. He doesn't care about Alfarez and Ferran's issue so he casually deals with everyone but of course, he is really close to Ferran.

"Okay. Let's go." He gets his cap and leather jacket before he leaves his cubicle.

PO2 Jennifer Jimenez smiled at him as they passed by the front desk but he didn't give her at least one glance because he went straight out of the station and got into the police car. SPO1 Sanchez grinned at him while starting the car's engine.

"It looks like PO2 Jimenez really likes you but you don't even give her some attention. Haha. Poor Jimenez." SPO1 Sanchez said and laughed a little.

When they reached their destination, they immediately went to Georgia Ramos' room. She was currently eating porridge when they entered.

The victim's face and arms were full of bruises and wounds. When Ferran and Georgia's eyes met, a memory entered Ferran's mind.

"Gigi."

SPO1 Sanchez glanced at him and asked. "You know her?"

"Yes. She's my wife's best friend and---" he unconsciously said but was interrupted by Sanchez's question.

"Wait. You had a wife that I don't know?" Sanchez asked Ferran confusedly, and even Ferran was confused by what he said.

"Uh... I mean---Uhm... She is Carina Alfarez's friend. You know Carina, right? Alfarez's wife." He explained.

"You're still in touch with them?" Sanchez mumbled. "I thought..."

"Not anymore." Ferran felt nervous all of a sudden. He shouldn't feel this but he's in the middle of getting caught by someone he can't trust yet.

"I just remembered."

He sighed in relief when SPO1 Sanchez nodded and sat on the chair beside the hospital bed. They are in a private room and the police in charge of guarding Georgia are outside.

Sanchez started asking some questions and also took the victim's statement about the rape incident.

"Did you see his face?" Asked Sanchez.

"N-No... It was dark." Georgia glanced at Ferran and closed her eyes. She sobbed while reminiscing about what happened to her.

Ferran quietly observes the room and at the same time, listening to the conversation between Sanchez and Gigi. He noticed that the victim's statement was unclear and maybe, just maybe... she wanted to say something else but didn't continue and keep it to herself. Ferran wanted to ask her personally but he just let Sanchez talk with the victim.

"Take a rest and we will come back here after we investigate some things about your case." Sanchez said before they left. As they walked out of the hospital, Ferran had another deep thought. He stopped walking and looked at his wristwatch with a date attached.

"Today is March 16th and tomorrow is 17th. Seventeen? What will happen?" He whispered while thinking about something that might be important.

He closed his eyes firmly and thought again but a hand touched his shoulder.

"You okay?" Sanchez asked worriedly. "Is there a problem?" He didn't answer but just shook his head and walked out first.

At the police station, Ferran was staring at the white ceiling of their office while leaning on the backrest of his swivel chair.

"In deep thoughts again." Sanchez got his attention. He put a folder on Ferran's desk. "There is already a lead in the drug case we were investigating months ago."

Ferran looked at the files on his desk and checked it for a while. If he's not mistaken, this operation has been successful before, led by the real Simeon Ferran.

"We just need confirmation before we perform the operation."

"We must check it right away."

"Yeah. We should."

Ferran was preparing himself but suddenly a severe headache attacked him. He nearly went out of balance but his hand gripped the edge of his desk for support.

A memory popped in his mind. After a while, the pain faded.

"Sh*t." He immediately grabbed his things before leaving the office.

Almost everyone in the office followed him with their gaze until he disappeared from their sight.

"Hey---Ferran! Where are you---how about the---never mind." Sanchez called him but he seemed in a hurry. He just sighed and sat on his swivel chair.

'What's up, man? I thought... We're going to check on---tsk. Never mind. He's Ferran after all. Disappearing without saying anything.'

"What's wrong with him?"

"He is acting weird."

"Just don't mind him."

Whispers are everywhere. Everyone is confused why Ferran suddenly rushed to leave but after seconds they got back to work.

When Ferran got home, he packed some clothes and food. He also brought his Glock pistol with a silencer and a military knife for an emergency. He wore a civilian outfit and went back to the hospital.

"You may go. I will guard her tonight." Ferran said to the policeman who was guarding Georgia.

When the night came, the hospital was very silent and no one was passing through the hallway. Ferran silently went inside the room where Georgia slept peacefully.

It was dark inside the room and he could barely see anything but because of the luminous light from the window, Ferran could see some things.

He sat on the chair at the corner of the room where he'll not be seen when someone enters.

From time to time, he checks his wristwatch and it's already 11:47 PM when someone slowly opens the door and closes it.

Ferran immediately alerted and the next thing he knew, he was exchanging punches with the stranger.

The light's switch accidentally pressed on and the light illuminated throughout the messy room.

His opponent sustained a cut on his shoulder because Ferran used his military knife to defend himself. Before the stranger fled away, they even looked into each other's eyes.

He sighed in relief when the stranger left and he faced Georgia but, an unexpected event happened that he did not even notice. It made him freeze.

"Holysh*t!"