CHAPTER 89 - THE TUNNEL

Ferran gained consciousness after he fell into a pit. He tried to move and felt the pain all over his body. The place was so dark and deep that he couldn't reach the surface.

"Blair? Trestan? You, there? Blair! Trestan!" No one answered him so he guessed that they ran away to save themselves. He remembered that they were chased by the hunters earlier and he was hoping that the two survived because he cannot forgive himself if something bad happens to his son, Trestan, and to Blair which he considered as a family too.

He turned on the flashlight he brought and clearly saw the place where he was.

"A tunnel?" He pointed the flashlight on the ground and saw a canal with flowing purple liquid. The liquid contains a dangerous substance that may kill any living creature, especially humans. He was standing in a concrete way he didn't know.  He looked around before following the trail, not sure where it would lead him until he reached the endpoint.

He heard footsteps and the roar of some engines above the ground. He saw a steel ladder attached to the wall and climbed there to reach the surface. He slightly opened the heavy lid of the manhole and his eyes started to widen as he realized where he was.

"This is it..." He mumbled.

He saw footsteps and car wheels. The manhole is located near the parking area of that private property. It's dark so no one can notice him.

Later on, he saw a man wearing a lab gown, who looked like a scientist. The man was getting something inside his car when Ferran immediately and silently went up to go after him.

"Sorry." He elbowed the man on his nape and he suddenly fell asleep. Ferran pulled him somewhere where he could hide the body then he put his bag in the man's car. He also changed his clothes and  wore the clothes the man was wearing earlier. When all settled, he acted like a doctor and he easily entered the establishment with the card pass from that doctor.

Thankfully, everyone was wearing a facemask, even the guards so he entered unnoticeably and without sweat.

'This is the laboratory.' He said in his mind while looking around the area. He saw the map of the dark forest in the laboratory's lobby. It's on the big screen. The reason why its location is not visible is because the top of the five-story building is full of trees. It camouflaged in the forest. He also found out where a vehicle could go to get to this place.

He saw a group of doctors walking towards the working area so he followed them and went with them. Some doctors looked at him and he was nervous because they might recognize him as an intruder but luckily, they didn't.

Shock was visible in eyes after seeing the rooms surrounded by glass walls containing  infected people.

'They are worse than I thought. How could they stand the fact that many lives were put to waste just because of this sh*tty experiment?'

Some are already dead and some are just dying. He clenched his fist and went to the working table where the doctor he had put to sleep earlier was assigned.

He opened some folders and he didn't understand what's written in the papers because it was more on science and formulas. He has a strong feeling that it is an important file so he simply put some inside his lab gown. Ferran sighed in relief because he didn't get caught, they are so busy with their own businesses.

"Everyone! Dr. Garcia wanted to say something." Someone announced so everyone stopped at what they were doing and faced the doctor.

'Dr. Maria Garcia? She's Carina's best friend!' His forehead creased and stared at the doctor who began talking about their experiments. 'I didn't see her after the incident in the yacht where Carina died. I should talk to her. She seems to know about everything.'

"Dr. Jardin, you seemed so occupied. Follow me in my office. I need to discuss something with you." Dr. Garcia said and left the working place.

Everyone looked at him because he was not following. Ferran remembered that he was Dr. Jardin inside that laboratory. He immediately went after her before everyone noticed that he did not belong to them. After a while, they reached Dr. Garcia's office.

"We can no longer miss this opportunity, Dr. Jardin. The 'Boss' is running out of patience." She's so stressed at that time but Ferran just stood there and looked at her. "He will kill us all if we don't finish the experiment this year."

He was silently  observing her. She looks like a decent doctor but if you know her true identity, you will be really scared because this doctor is crazy.

"Don't you have anything to say other than staring? Ugh! If I didn't really need you, I would have killed you for a long time." She said without any hesitation in her voice. "Get---" She was interrupted when someone immediately opened the door.

"Dr. Garcia! Dr. Jardin's body was found---" Ferran immediately pulled his gun at the back and shot the man on the thigh and faced Maria Garcia who was about to get her gun in her drawer. Ferran shot her in the arm before leaving the room and ran toward the exit to escape the place. Everything turned into chaos and the warning alarm rang throughout the whole area.

'Damn it!'

Most of the guards were chasing him and they started closing every exit in the building to trap Ferran. He ran as fast as he could and slid himself on the ground before the barrier closed.

The guards outside were waiting for him. He was swift to shoot them one by one but he received three minor gunshots. The wounds didn't make him stop until he reached the car where he put his bag. Luckily, the key is still there. He started the engine and drove the car to the closed gate. He ducked when the guards started shooting the car. He put it at full speed and collided the car into the large gate of that private property.

Ferran doesn't mind what will happen next, the only thing in his mind is to escape from death.

They did not catch him and it made Ferran sighed in relief but cursed when he felt the pain in his minor wounds. "Sh*t."