CHAPTER 92 - THE REPLACEMENT

October 06, 2021

The Boss visits the laboratory to check on the progress of their experiment. Dr. Maria Garcia is currently explaining something to him. Every doctor and scientist in the laboratory has their own fear of making mistakes that will make the Boss mad and immediately kill them without hesitation. Every work they do should always be perfect.

"By December, I need a full report of your experiment, Dr. Garcia. Time is gold. Waste of time is a huge shortcoming in the organization. Lots of clients were waiting for it."

"Don't worry, Boss. We are close to success. That lady," She was referring to Nathalie as the lady who was injected by their latest antidote. She seems so fine and healthy.

"Just be sure that you made it right. I have to go." After the Boss left, Dr. Maria Garcia went to Nathalie to check on her.

"Are you feeling something?" She asked.

"Nothing. I felt nothing at all. I'm good."

"Well, that's great. Take care of yourself and you'll be the key to our first success." The doctor smiled at her but after she turned her back on Nathalie, her smile faded.

'No. I am the key! You're just a thing that we can dispose of after this.' She rolled her eyes and confidently walked towards her office.

She opened the drawer at her desk to check on something but the first thing she saw was the photo of her and Carina torn into half. She smiled wickedly and took Carina's photo.

"Hey, b*tch! You're wrong when you say that I'm not going to be successful. Here I am, close to accomplishing the things you didn't believe that I can do. What kind of friend are you?" She talked to the photo as if she's facing the real Carina. She threw the photo on the table in front of her and crossed her arms. "I'm glad that you died. Worthless b*tch." She rolled her eyes and did what she was supposed to do.

***

The battle between the people against the government and policemen, who revolted in San Andres had finished. It was a miracle that Alfarez and Beltran survived. They thought it was their end but it's not. Some of their colleagues got severely injured and most of them died in the middle of the war.

There are two military trucks but unfortunately, one of them was damaged and can no longer be used.

The most severe were the first who'll get home and will be taken to the hospital. Beltran is one of them but Alfarez seemed fine so he stayed on the battlefield with some of his colleagues with minor injuries like him.

"See you at San Lorenzo." He bid his goodbye to Beltran.

"Y-Yeah. You'll treat me an unlimited drink in the bar." Beltran jokes.

"You dumb*ss! You know that I don't drink. Tss." But Beltran just laughed at him.

As the military truck went far away from their camp, it unexpectedly exploded.

"Beltran!"

***

Ferran's chest tightened when that memory came to his mind again. In recent days, he has always dreamed of Beltran's death. That memory made him barely sleep. He looked at the digital clock on the lamp table and it is just three in the morning and the date is October 12, 2021. He was about to close his eyes when he remembered something.

'October 13, 2021! Beltran's death day. A day left.' He held the bridge of his nose because of stress. He tried to sleep again but as he closed his eyes, the scene of the explosion would just appear in his mind. 'I need to save him. I want to save him. F*ck. How?'