CHAPTER 42 - THE ANTIDOTE

Ferran didn't waste any second after getting what he needed. He bade his goodbye to Henry and Hailey and watched him until he's gone.

He immediately brought the missing formula in front of the rusty gate where Trestan entered earlier. He hid and waited for almost an hour before he saw Trestan come out and saw the paper bag where he put the piece of paper, the notebook, and the herb named 'Stellaria media.'

Trestan looked around, and felt anxious about his surroundings but he saw nothing or no one. He came back to the old building and there, Ferran went back to work.

"You told me earlier that you'll be back at nine but what time is it now? It's eleven o'clock."

"I'm sorry. I lost track of time. I just finished the task that I told you about."

Sanchez didn't say anything but his eyes seemed to be suspiciously looking at Ferran.

'Ferran, I don't know why I felt strange when I'm with you. It was as if it's not you. You're not the Ferran I used to.'

+++

October 08, 2020

"Dr. Zyrille De Vega, another case of Lila Virus has arrived. A mother and a child." The nurse informed the doctor who's busy running some tests about the virus.

They are wearing a whole white suit, a surgical mask, and surgical gloves. The patient has almost filled the entire hospital and is mostly due to the case of the virus. Their attire were uncomfortable and suffocating but the health workers endured it for the sake of their well being, and of course, for the protection from the disease.

"The mother died a minute ago." Another doctor sadly announced. "And when we check the temperature of the child, it's 39°C." Dr. Mike Gabalfin said, the doctor in charge of the mother and child who just arrived.

"Let's see if we can find a way to cure this child." Dr. De Vega said and immediately took some blood from the child to run some tests.

"Dr. De Vega, I don't think we can save him." Dr. Gabalfin sounds like losing hope. "Within two months, no one had recovered from this disease. They all just died. We can do nothing but just watch them losing their lives!"

Dr. Zyrille De Vega stopped what she was doing and glared at Dr. Gabalfin who's thinking became negative. She looked around and saw patients, nurses, and staff looking in their direction.

Almost everyone started to have lost hope because of the doctor who is giving up to face the crisis of their town. The lady doctor pulled his colleague outside to scold him.

"Are you insane!?" She can't stop her irritation, breathing heavily. "You're making them think that there is no way to overcome---"

"Because that's the reality! That's the reality, Zyrille!" The doctor became emotional. "We don't even know where that bullsh*t disease came from! It was as if we're digging our own graves."

"Mike, listen." Dr. De Vega was calm now. "I know you. The most positive doctor here. So, please... Stay positive. I know, we're all afraid but the people inside this hospital... depend on us." She pointed to the hospital. "If we give up, who will help them?"

"But Zyrille---"

"Why did you choose this profession?" She asked while holding her waist but Dr. Gabalfin just looked away. "Huh? Answer me!"

"To... save people."

"Exactly! To save people! Even if we're not gods, deities or whatever it is..." Her eyes directly look at him. "Erase the negative vibes. It wouldn't be any help."