CHAPTER 45 - THE SELFISH

["SL News... An infected child is cured and recovered from Lila Virus. He was the first recorded to have survived despite this disease. Doctors have found the key to the epidemic crisis of San Lorenzo."]

Doctor Maria Garcia grabbed the remote control of her television inside the office and immediately turned off the television due to her irritation. She threw the remote on the wall that made the thing break.

"How dare that person make a cure!? I made the virus so I should be the only one who can make a cure!"

She quickly took her lab coat and went out of his office. The doctors and scientists were all busy with their work when Dr. Garcia yelled.

"Everyone, listen!"

They all stopped and felt the anger of their head doctor.

"Within five days we will release the cure for this disease." Whispers made some noise in the huge laboratory.

"But doctor, we're not yet in the mid-way completing the cure. There's a lot of analyzation---"

"Are you disagreeing with what I'm saying, Dr. Smith?" Dr. Garcia asked while glaring at him and raising her eyebrow.

"No, doctor. I'm just stating the---"

"I don't need to hear what you want to say." The doctor gave her secretary a signal to come near her. "Call our guards and dispatch this nosy doctor." The secretary just nodded.

"W-What? But I contributed a lot to make---" Dr. Smith appealed but the people around just watched him being dragged by the guards out of the laboratory. "No, this is unfair! Let me go!"

"I don't need your opinions about my decisions so if you don't want to be like that Smith, never plan a move that will be against me. Get back to work! We have to finish it within five days or less."

Everyone quietly followed every order Dr. Garcia gave. They were all afraid to make a mistake that would lead them to the end of their lives.

When Doctor Garcia went back to her office to get some files needed for their experimentation, the office's telephone rang. She immediately answered it.

"Yes? How may I help you?"

"Is this Dr. Maria Garcia? I am the secretary of the 'Boss'." The doctor was stunned but recovered and spoke.

"Yes, it's me."

"The 'Boss' wanted to talk to you privately and he invited you to his mansion in San Mateo."

"And why—" She paused midway and cleared her throat. She shouldn't ask. "Hm... Okay, I'll be there. Just send me the address and the exact date and time."

"Well, then I'll send it to you through email after this call. Thank you, doctor." The secretary ended the call.

She sat on her swivel chair and thought of some reasons why the 'Boss' wanted to talk to her in his house.

'Is he going to kill me!?' She shook her head because of that negative thought. 'He still needs me so he will not do that. Right! He'll just talk about our next plan.'

Doctor Maria Garcia opened the notebook where she saw the incomplete list of experiments. This notebook gave her an idea to start making a drug to end the history of diseases and there, a picture of two young women wearing a lab coat and smiling at the camera was inserted between the pages.

"If you just agreed to what I'm aiming for," She almost crumpled half of the old photo. " You'll still be alive and planning with me. I swear to your grave that this drug will change the whole world." She talked about the photo of her best friend who died two years ago.