CHAPTER 98 - THE CUBICLE

December 16, 2021
Thursday 1:29 A.M.

Blair and Trestan arrived at the doctor's house and immediately went outside the car. They run towards the front door of Dr. De Vega's house.

"Dr. De Vega? Dr. De Vega!" Trestan was knocking at the doctor's house. It took ten minutes before the doctor opened the door.

"Trestan? Blair? What are you doing here in the middle of the night?" The doctor seemed to just wake up from his sleep.

"We need to test on something doctor and---"

"W-What? Can't we do that later? It's past one in the morning." The doctor said while his eyes were half-closed.

"But doctor, this is very important and time is running. We will be too late if we---"

"What are you talking about, young man?"

"We will just explain it to you later, doctor. But first things first, we need to hurry." Blair said.

"Fine. Fine. Come in. I'll just change clothes and we will go to the secret laboratory." The doctor has no choice but to come with the two young people.

After a while, Dr. De Vega drove Ferran's pickup car which Trestan and Blair brought. Trestan knows how to drive but he has no driver's license. Well, there were no checkpoints so they were safe.

After they arrived at the secret laboratory, they wore full personal protective equipment before entering the area surrounded by the glass walls.

"This liquid is from the river in the largest farmland here. We need to check on this, doctor." He handed it to the doctor.

"Alright. Let's start."

They run some tests on the liquid inside the test tube. Doctor De Vega was observing it under the microscope and mixing something on the liquid. Trestan, on the other hand, was typing something on the laptop while talking with the doctor. Blair just watched them while taking some notes and took them almost three hours to confirm it.

The liquid contains a purple and dangerous drug that can kill every living organism on Earth. This is worse than the last one they were observing and studying.

"Positive. This liquid contains a virus." The doctor announced.

"It seems similar to the one we were observing before, doctor," Trestan said.

"Yeah."

"But it is worse than before," Blair mumbled. "This is so unbelievable yet real."

"We need to start studying this. We all know that it is quite risky." Dr. De Vega let out a heavy sigh before looking at Trestan and Blair who seem eager to do what they can to help him. "We may die in between the process because of this chemical. Are you both sure about---"

"We have no choice doctor..." Trestan looked at Blair and he seemed to talk to her using his eyes. Blair just nodded.

'If putting our lives in danger is the only key to give... at least a little hope to the other people, then I am ready.' Blair said in her mind.

"We can't let you work alone. I know that you are capable but this is the least thing we could do to help, doctor."

A few seconds of silence before the doctor decided.

"Alright. Let's begin."

***

San Lorenzo General Hospital
December 16, 2021
8:35 AM

Cally was peacefully sleeping on the hospital bed while Alfarez was sitting on the chair beside the bed and his eyes were closed.

Ferran can't sleep and from time to time he always checks his phone to look for some news about the liquid he got from the river but no message is received or any call.