CHAPTER 53 - THE MALL

A week later... Ferran recovered and was discharged to the hospital. Blair went back to school as well but she seemed spaced out after everything happened to her family.

"Our lesson for today is... Philippine history. You!" Miss Valdez, their history teacher again, pointed her finger at one of Trestan's classmates. "What are the three countries that invaded the Philippines?"

"Uhm... S-Spain... The U-United States, and Japan, Miss." His classmate, Sunny Montes answered.

"How many years did Spain colonize the Philippines?"

"Three hundred... Three hundred..." Sunny can't remember what she read last night.

"Three hundred thirty-three years," Trestan mumbled but he had no intention to coach his classmate but Sunny heard him and immediately answered.

"Three hundred thirty-three years, miss."

"How about the United States?" Miss Valdez raised her eyebrow to make her more intimidating.

"Hm... Uhm..." She didn't know and there, she glanced at Trestan who did not look at her.

"Alfarez, stand up!" Miss Valdez noticed that Sunny looked at him so the lecturer chose to call him and ask some questions. Sunny was about to sit down but Miss Valdez said, "Miss Montes, remain standing."

Sunny almost rolled her eyes but she stopped herself from doing it 'coz the lecturer might scold her and embarrass her in front of the class.

Trestan sighed and reluctantly answered, "Forty-eight years, miss."

"And Japan?"

"Over three years, miss."

"When did Ferdinand Magallanes and his comrades found the Philippines?"

"March 16---"

"Wrong."

"It's right, miss." He emphasized the word 'miss'. "They sighted the island on March 16, 1521, so technically they found it on March 16, and landed in Homonhon Island on March 17, 1521." He explained the fact that his classmates made some 'ohh' sound.

Miss Valdez was stunned and couldn't respond immediately then, later on, she slowly clapped.

"Impressive." She uttered but it was not shown on her expression. Aquiro, Trestan's cousin, was still his favorite student.

She always has a terror look and it's just her natural expression. No one could change it even after she heard her student explaining his answer. However, she wanted to know Trestan's knowledge about history.

"If he answers my questions correctly and doesn't miss anything, everyone will receive a plus five points in your last examination. Do you agree with that?"

Of course, everyone agreed because most of them have low test scores and the five points are also a big help but Sunny raised her hands to ask a question.

"What if Trestan missed one of your questions, miss?"

"I'll deduct five points from his grade." Well, Miss Valdez is not serious about deducting, she just wants to test him.

Trestan sighed heavily and waited for her questions.

'Unfair.'

"But I will give him an additional eight points if he makes it. Is it fine?"

"Yes, miss." Trestan answered as if he had no choice.

"Who is the Philippine national hero?"

"Dr. Jose Ri---"