CHAPTER 88 - THE WORTHLESS

"Uncle!"

Fake hunters failed to capture them. They stopped and immediately hid  to catch their  breath. Trestan looked at Blair when she forcibly pulled her hand he was holding.

"Blair..." She struck her hands on his chest many times.

"How dare you!? How dare you!?" She was crying while pushing Trestan but he just stood there and accepted every strike from her. "We should help him! We should help uncle! But... But what did you do?"

Trestan tried to hold her hands to halt her and explained himself. "Listen, Blair. Please..." He tried not to lose his temper because it was Blair, his lover.

"What if something happened to him? Or w-worst he died!?" Blair sat on the muddy ground. The rain had stopped. Trestan knelt in front of her and held her cheeks.

"He told me earlier that no matter what happened to him, I should protect you! So please Blair. Stop---" He was interrupted by the harsh words coming from Blair's mouth.

"What a worthless son you are!" Blair shouted at her that made him crease his forehead.

"W-What did you say?" He seemed so hurt, especially since Blair said that. He looked at her eyes with so many questions.

"Worthless! You're worthless!" His hands dropped and turned into a fist. He punched the ground because of anger. 'What right does she have to tell me that? She doesn't know me as a son.'

"How could you say that to me, Blair?" He looked away, tried to stay calm and a tear dropped on his cheek.

"That man!" She was referring to Ferran. Her finger pointed into the direction where they left him. "That man is not my real uncle! Did you hear me? He is not my uncle!"

"What!? Are you insane? That's Simeon Ferran! You're uncle!" Trestan couldn't help but raise his voice because of so much confusion. He could no longer understand Blair. "What is happening to you, Blair?"

"No! He's not! He is your dad! Your father..." Blair is still crying and later on, she hardly catches her breath. Trestan got so worried so he immediately took the inhaler inside Blair's bag.

"Calm down. Calm down. Inhale. Exhale." Trestan said while slightly tapping Blair's back. He couldn't bear to watch Blair suffering though he really has no idea why she is acting and saying strange things. When she calmed, Trestan asked. "Please explain everything to me so I could understand you."

"You're not going to believe this..."

"Try me." He looked at her eyes with hope.

"In the year 2022, a pandemic will occur and there is no cure... many people all around the world will die. My uncle, I mean your father, died in an accident and reincarnated two years back."

"Die? Oh please, Blair... don't kid about death. It's not funny."

"I am damn serious, Trestan. He needed to find the mastermind of this crisis, which is the organization that I tell you about." She sighed and continued explaining. "So if he died, we will not survive the crisis because he knows what might happen in the future. Maybe it will be the end of human lives."

"How---That's impossible..." He mumbled. He couldn't believe what she was saying.

"Yeah... That's the exact expression I used to feel but believe it or not, your dad is the living proof."

"Where is your uncle, then? If my dad is in your uncle's body then," He creased his forehead. "Who's inside my dad's body?"

"All I know is that the one who's inside your dad's body is his old self and my uncle is still inside that body but he can't control his own body for no specific reason," Blair explained.

"This is so chaotic. So... all this time, he's just watching. That's why he always shows concern every time we encounter each other because..." He sighed. "Dad..."

"Uhm... I'm sorry for saying harsh words to you." She hugged him. "Sorry. Sorry. Sor---"

"It's fine." He tapped her back. "Let's not waste more time and find him."

It rained again and another group of fake hunters was chasing them but they were both lucky to stray from them and escaped from their sights. They were lost in the forest and the signs were nowhere to be found until they found an enormous pit containing disgusting dead bodies.

Blair vomited and Trestan pulled her away from the pit. The pit is where the organization dumped dead bodies they used for experimentation.

"There they are!" One of the hunters found them. Trestan pulled Blair to run away from those hunters.

+++

Zyrille is in-duty that night and it is not that busy in the hospital. She just had to make her rounds then went home. "Dr. De Vega! Dr. De Vega!" Dylan called her.

"Hey, Dylan! You're here again." She smiled at him and tapped his head.

"Here," He was giving her a bar of chocolate.

"Oh? This is for me?" She asked while softly looking at the kid.

"Yes! Dad ordered me to give it to you." Dylan answered.

"Oh... Okay. " She looked at the sticky note attached to the chocolate bar.

Happy friendsary, doctor. It's been two years :)

- Dr. Mike Gabalfin

She smiled at his simple gesture. Mike met her two years ago in the hospital when she started working there. They became close friends especially that Dr. Gabalfin is a friendly type and many patients like him as a doctor.

"Please say 'thank you.' Next time I will treat him to dinner." She said to the boy.

"Okay. Bye, doctor!" He waved his hand and ran towards Dr. Gabalfin's office.

After work, SPO2 Danryll De Vega picked her up in the hospital.

"You're staying in dad's house?"

"Yeah because I have something really important to tell you and dad."

"What is it?"

"Later." He said while driving his car.

When they arrived, Dr. Carlos De Vega was surprised to see his son again. It's once in a blue moon. "Let's have dinner." He said and they went to the dining room where the food was ready. They silently ate until Danryll opened a topic.

"There are some cases of the disease you were observing dad, in San Carlos. People are not yet aware of it but I have a strong hunch that the local governments are involved with this matter." Danryll said before drinking the glass of water beside him. "Even in San Juan, San Mateo, San Andres but of course, most cases are here in San Lorenzo." He sighed heavily.

"When will they stop? If the disease is already spreading around the world?" Dr. Zyrille was so annoyed by the fact that they could do nothing to stop them. Dr. Carlos seemed to stay silent and thinking so deeply.

"Dad... Dad." He looked at Danryll who's been calling him many times.

"You okay, dad?" Zyrille asked and held her father's hand. The doctor started taking medication because of sickness because of his old age.

"Yeah." He stood up and tapped his daughter's shoulder. "You take care of the dishes. I'm going upstairs to rest."

"Sure. Goodnight, dad." Zyrille said before the old man left.

"Is he really fine?" The worry in Danryll's voice can be heard.

"That's what I'm asking too. He was so occupied in the past few days. He seems to be thinking so much, to the point where he does not notice what is around him." Even Zyrille felt so worried.

"Please... Take care of him."