CHAPTER 17 - THE MICROORGANISM

A month later...

It's another school year for the students. One afternoon when classes were over, Trestan was walking in a hallway full of students exiting their classrooms.

Trestan is one of those who huddle with students in different directions. He was in a hurry to go to the laboratory which was almost behind the school because his close professor called him to go there.

Rarely do people go to that part because that building is quite old and it's a bit creepy but Trestan is not afraid to go because he is often there after class. He looked around and checked if someone was tailing him.

'Safe.'

He entered the building and the door made a noise which seemed to be similar to those in horror movies. There is an underground passageway where the secret laboratory is located. Before entering the main laboratory, he needed his fingerprint to open the door made of steel.

When he got inside, he saw the professor busy with what he was doing in an area surrounded by a glass wall. The walls were soundproof so the professor didn't notice his arrival.

Trestan reached the intercom connected inside the area where the professor was, to let him know he was already there.

"Finally you're here! I want to show you something and maybe you can help." The professor said, "You must wear a whole bodysuit first before I'll allow you to enter."

Trestan followed the professor's instructions before he could enter. Doctor Carlos De Vega looked at a microorganism under the microscope and he brought the young man closer to it.

It was a purple microorganism.

"What do you think it is?" Doctor De Vega asked.

"It looks like pathogenic bacteria but a bit strange though," Trestan said and stood up straight. "It's my first time to see that kind of bacteria or should I say... A virus?"

"Bingo!" The doctor said,

"Where did it come from?" Trestan asked curiously.

"Someone gave it to me." Then the doctor discusses the summary of his current observation.

"So the virus is man-made?" Trestan said while holding his chin.

"Right."

"Who in his right mind would do such a thing?" The young man tried to think of some possible answers but he really can't. "It looks deadly."

"Of course. Someone crazy." The doctor's tone seems like he has someone in his mind.

"Do you have someone in your mind, doctor? Maybe... someone who has a valid reason to do this crazy thing."

"I have one in mind but not yet sure."

"Mind discussing it with me? I'm curious." Trestan was determined to know because the virus he saw earlier is thoroughly made.

"It's a long story." He looked at his wristwatch.

"I still have a lot of time to listen."

"Are you sure? How about your sister?"

"Oh, sh*t! I almost forgot. Maybe next time doctor." The professor laughed a little at Trestan's reaction because it was not obvious to the young man to react like that.

"Disinfect yourself before you leave this laboratory. It is better to be careful because we are not sure about the effect of this virus."

"Yeah. Sure."

Trestan hurried to the guardhouse where his little sister had been waiting for him. Cally almost fell asleep on the seat and if Trestan hadn't caught her, she would have fallen and her face would have slumped to the floor.