CHAPTER 103 - THE SORROW

"Oh my gosh!!" Blair covered her ears as they heard the explosion coming from the surface. It slightly shook the place because of its great impact. "Dr. De Vega!"

Trestan put his hand on her mouth and strongly shook his head to stop her from running back to the laboratory. He then pulled her again because at any time, the enemies might track them as soon as they learned about the tunnel underneath.

Rain was heavily pouring when they reached the exit. They unhesitatingly entered the dark and vast forest even though they already knew what danger was waiting for them.

The ground became muddy and slippery that made it difficult for them to run faster. Trestan tightly held Blair's hand while running for their lives because unfortunately, they encountered fake hunters on their way out. One of Blair's feet slipped and she almost fell into the pit where the organization disposed of the dead organisms from their failed experiment.

"Blair! Sh*t... Careful! Let's go." Trestan was tired but he just couldn't just give up. They need to survive, that's what Dr. De Vega's last wish.

In the middle of the run, Blair stopped because of her abnormal breathing that eventually became heavy. She was attacked by her asthma so Trestan immediately pulled her to hide somewhere safe and gently made her sit.

"Blair... Blair, calm down." He was holding her on her shoulders.

"I... I can't breathe." She coughed several times and tears fell while gasping for air.

"Breath with me. Inhale, exhale. His cold hand held her cheek while the other one was searching for the inhaler inside the bag. "Inhale, exhale. Slowly. Relax. Inhale, exhale."

Trestan found the inhaler and Blair immediately took it. After a while her breathing became normal again. Trestan sighed in relief, pulled her gently and gave her a warm hug.

"Thank God." He whispered before facing her again. "Let's go?"

Blair just nodded and Trestan assisted her to stand. Suddenly, a cat appeared in front of them and Blair's eyes widened after she recognized the cat, it's Alexa's cat.

"Sage!"

Sage seemed to tell something. They followed the cat while he was guiding them until they safely reached the roadside.

"You're really adorable!" Blair lifted the cat and hugged it disregarding the fact that its white fur was covered with dirt. She sneezed because of her allergies. The cat jumped off and left them to go somewhere. "Sage!"

"Blair, we need to go."

"But..." She sighed when Sage was gone from their sight. A car almost hit them but thankfully, it immediately stopped. They were blinded by the headlights and their hearts raced when someone who got out of the car was holding a gun. Either an ally or foe, they can't tell.

+++

Danryll ran inside the abandoned building where the secret laboratory was located. His body trembled when he saw the wrecked entrance door. He gulped and slowly walked inside, readied his gun in case that someone would attack him.

"Dad?" He unconsciously let go of his gun when he saw Dr. De Vega's body lying on the cold ground and covered with his blood. "Dad!"

He first checked his pulse, hoping that it was not too late but his body weakened after he confirmed that he was already cold and lifeless.

"D-Dad... No... Please. W-Wake up, dad. This is not true. Just a dream... yeah, a dream." He cried out of sorrow while holding his dad in his arms. "I'm s-sorry... I shouldn't leave you here alone. Ahh!!"