India Fox's Interview

I ruffle the frilly, fluffy aqua dress I was told to wear. After they forced the dress of me, painfully tugged and pulled hair into a physically impossible hairstyle, they put makeup on me. MAKEUP! The diamonds, real or otherwise, cosmetically glued on my cheekbones blinded me whenever I try to look down, the fake lashes were making my eyes itchy, and I'm pretty sure my face can't breath through all this goo and powder.

I begin repeatedly running my hands over the folded material. I am next up, and not at all nervous. Sequin Sparkles is chatting to my male district partner, her gold hair shimmering in the spotlight. I gaze of into space, bored already. The minutes seemed to fade away as I say in the plush chair, waiting.

"You're up, Ms. Fox."

I snap out of the daze, alert. "Hm?" The stage manager, at least I assume she is, rolls her eyes, repeating herself. I stand, nodding. "Here we go!"

I sashay down the small catwalk, smiling and waving. The crowd is eating it up, and I know my interview strategy will work. Sequin hugs me and kisses my cheek, as do I. We sit down and the applause lessens.

"Hello, India dear. You look absolutely lovely, I must say," She says, gesturing to my dress. I giggle, pretending to be girly. Ha.

"Oh, Ms. Sparkles, this old thing? If anything, you look lovely. I love the color purple on you," I gush, waving my hand. "Don't you all agree?" I say to the crowd, and they go wild for it. Sequin fake blushes, and laughs with us. Her purple, floor-length ball gown is absolutely covered in gemstones, a whole rainbow of colors.

"Thank you, I picked it out myself. We'll, enough of that. Lets move on to the thing we are here for, questions!" She exclaims, throwing her hands up. I fake-smile widely with her.

"Of course, ask away," I say. She pauses, thinking.

"So, how do you like it so far? Here, in the Capitol, I mean." I pretend to think, and nod. This will be too easy.

"It's just great, Sequin. So much better than all the boring, old water back home. The whole atmosphere is so much better," I say, fake-enthusiastically. She smiles, the whiteness of her teeth nearly blinding me. I blink, waiting her next question.

She seems confused, and shakes her head.

"But surely you like something back home. Don't you miss anything?" I scoff, quickly shaking my head.

"Nothing. It was so horrible. No one would talk to me, and my father beats me, so this is much better. When I went out hunting during one of the periods my father refused to give me food, people saw me and began circulating rumors that I ate raw animals. Ew. Who would do such a thing? I was only trying to survive," I pout, earning a collective "Aw" of pity from the audience.

Sequin places a long, pink bedazzled manicured hand over her chest, sighing. "I'm so sorry, hon. But let's move on to a better topic. Does... Anyone stand out to you this year? Any threats?" She asks, seeming to be genuinely caring. I half-shrug, nodding.

"Callisto. It seems we may have the same goals. I mean, she is pretty cool," I laugh, smiling to the crowd. They are totally buying this. "Bryan seems pretty sweet too. My kinda people, you know? And as for the threat, maybe. It depends on if we team up. If we do, we're the threat."

She seems slightly shocked on who I want for allies. I nod as if its normal, and she recovers. "Well... then. Anyways, who do you think is this year's weakest tribute?" I giggle, playfully swatting at her.

"Oh, silly. Can't there be more? I mean, Cherry and Willow I could probably just scare to death. Or, I could have a little fun while killing them. Either way, they're both pretty weak." I hear Cherry gasp back up on the seating area, and I smirk. Sequin nods, noting the gasp.

"What do you think is your main advantage in these Games?" She asks. I think for a moment.

My face is stony, and I answer in a very serious tone. "I am willing to do things no other tribute would do to win. And I am sure going to give you guys one hell of a show!" I point to the crowd, winning them over again. They go berserk, the bloodthirsty part if them taking over. I giggle at their chants of "India for the Win!"

Sequin interrupts the chants with another question. "So, India, why do you want to win?"

"So I can show up my father. I'll teach him what it was like to be me when I didn't have enough to eat. He'll learn how I suffered," I fake cry, wiping the tears off my face. The Capitol citizens are sobbing hysterically, and screaming in outrage at my father. I laugh internally. I swear, I could manipulate these fools with a single word.

Sequin pats my leg, seemingly understanding. "That is such a wonderful reason. But do you have any other family at home?" I pretend to be overwhelmed with emotion, fanning my face.

"My brother... But he hates me too. I guess I hate them both. All they ever did was take their anger out on me after my mom died," I bite my lip, trying to not smile and laugh in their faces. I can't believe they're buying any of this! Stupid fools.

Sequin is nearly in tears, and she dabs her eyes with a tissue. She composes herself, putting on a smile. "Tell me, are you in an alliance yet? Careers? Or are you going to go by yourself?" I tilt my head, grinning.

"Careers, of course. Who else would I ally with, Cherry? Yeah, right!" I scoff, letting the real me slip out a little. The one that likes to throw knives at little kids in the park. The fun me, not this snooty, girly me I put on for the Capitol.

"Of course," Sequin keeps a straight face, nodding. "But tell us one last thing. What is your greatest weakness? Is it fire? Explosions?" She questions eagerly, leaning forward. I stand as my interview time is ticking down to the last few seconds, and I smirk.

"Where's the fun in giving that secret away?"

I walk away from her before the time runs out, and the audience is going crazy. It seems they love me, but Sequin is sitting in awe, surprised at me. She looks very impressed, and I wave to her.

"Give it up for India Fox, District Four!" She says to the crowd, and they give a round if applause as they cheer for me.

The lights dim as she introduces the next tribute. I smirk, knowing no one will outdo my interview. Sitting back, I fantasize about how I'm going to kill a tribute I've had my eye on since watching the reapings. I will save his death for a quiet place, and I will give the Capitol just what they want: a good, slow, painful death.

I chuckle silently, closing my eyes.