Devlin Summers' POV (Fire)

As I slowly regain consciousness I hear the sounds of the forest come alive around me, the wind blowing through the trees, the rustling of leaves. I keep my eyes closed wanting to stay in this moment forever, where nothing matters. Where I don't have to get up and kill to survive. I focus on the noises around me and recognize the sound of Elaine's rhythmic breathing as she sleeps peacefully beside me. Raising my hand to my face I feel the bandages covering my eyes and, with a shudder, remember the events of yesterday. Finally opening my eye I see that Elaine is not sleeping but is awake staring delicately at me.

"Hey" she says smiling at me.

I smile and nod my head at her, unable to speak for some reason.

"How are you feeling? You were pretty out of it yesterday." she ask.

"Fine, I think." I say. "How does it look?" I ask pointing at the bandages where my eye used to be.

"I'm not gonna lie," she says, "not so good."

I nod, I expected as much, I silently curse the little green gecko who burrowed into my eye.

"I've been meaning to tell you something." says Elaine.

I look at her expectantly.

"I don't need you anymore Devlin, you're useless to me." she says, a menacing smirk plays across her lips.

Before I get the chance to respond, she laughs and grabs my dagger. The one I keep under my sleeping bag when I sleep. With surprising speed she sticks it deep into my chest. As I feel the pains seep through the rest of my body I look down at the growing dark stain around the blade which sticks out awkwardly from my chest. I look at Elaine a look of disbelief across my face.

"Did you really think I loved you Devlin?" she asks.

I try to respond but the only thing that comes out it a gargle and I realise that blood is now pouring out of my mouth. Helplessly I try to communicate with Elaine.

"I must be a better actor than I thought then," she says, "how could anyone love you? You're repugnant Devlin, look at yourself." She smiles as she says this.

I watch helplessly as she begins packing up her supplies then she leaves, not even granting me one look as she disappears into the forest. My vision begins to flicker as my blood begins pooling around me staining everything in sight. I hear the bushes in front of me rustle, but I'm beyond caring. I was going to die here. After everything I fought through I was going to die because of the person that I loved, the only person which I had ever truly loved. Sapphire comes bounding out of the bushes and I force myself to keep my eyes open. At first Sapphire approaches me like usual but then something changes. Her ears flatten against her head and she leans forward. Her eyes changing from those big, almost human eyes to those of a predator, running simply on instinct.

"No" I think to myself, unable to say it.

"Please no..." I think as Sapphire approaches me, a low rumbling growl escaping from her.

"Sapphire, don't do it..." I think, but I know it's too late. Sapphire lunges at me and I allow my eyes to close. The last thing I feel is her jaws tightening around my throat before I black out.

I spring up from sleep as cold sweats begin across my back. It was I dream. I think to myself. As I breath sighs of relief I look down at my sweat stained shirt and then over at Sapphire. She is asleep peacefully beside me and I watch her for a few seconds and smile. As if sensing my gaze Sapphire springs up from her sleep. Her whole body tenses up as if sensing danger but eventually she relaxes. She looks at me with her head turned and I can tell that she's looking at the white bandages covering the area where my eye used to be.