Callisto Reed's POV

My eyes fluttered open as the first rays of sunshine shone into the cornucopia, creating an eery shadow on the grass. I rolled onto my stomach and squinted at the horizon, trying to see past the hazy wall of confusion my sleepiness created. I heard a mumble behind me, and knew that the others were starting to wake. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and gazed at the sunrise. It was beautiful. Pinks and oranges and yellows were strewn all along the horizon, throwing beautiful light onto the arena.

The arena.

I sighed and rolled onto my back, curling a piece of hair around my finger. I looked around at who was left. India, Titan and Red. There was only 4 of us. Red and India were useful - India intimidated the sh*t out of everyone and Red was pretty talented with her weapon. My eyes slid over to Titan, and narrowed dangerously. He hadn't been very active over the past few days. He was nice enough, I guess, but nothing special. For a moment I considered killing him there and then. I could always smother him with my sleeping bag. Quick and clean, no blood. But then I heard a mumble from the back of the cornucopia from Red, and decided against it. Red was a light sleeper. She'd hear Titan's screams.

Suddenly, a loud GONG sounded throughout the arena, like the one to signal the beginning of the games. I heard a shout of surprise and a few profanities, and knew that my fellow careers were awake. The I heard Talon Sharp's voice in the sky, and knew it was no coincidence.

"Hello tributes, congratulations to those who have survived so far. And many of you got supplies from the cornucopia, well done. This years batch of tributes is obviously very worthy to compete in the arena. But if you have supplies, you may want to dispose of them soon. Island with supplies on them... Will fall into the abyss. You have 5 minutes to dispose of your supplies, or anyone with supplies will die. Except, every tribute with a sponsor may carry one bag of supplies. Don't be greedy, only one bag. Have fun tributes, and may the odds be ever in your favour." A countdown appeared in the sky, counting down the five minutes.

"Sh*t!" I heard Red scream as she bolted from the cornucopia, Ian's sleeping bag in one hand and dragging a crate of food in the other one. She tossed them over the edge of the island, before turning to us, wide-eyed.

"Guys! We have to toss everything off!" she shrieked.

"Wait!"I interjected, standing up. "First stuff everything you can into your backpack. We are each sponsored, we get a bag each and our weapons."

Red nodded, then darted back into the cornucopia so fast she was almost a blur. I quickly woke up India, who had somehow slept throughout the whole announcement, and the 4 careers began to pack everything into our bags. I saw a nearby pack of dried beef strips, and shoved them into my backpack.

Whilst I'd been under pressure for years - my parents pushing me to be a victor, bullying from classmates - this task seemed like a whole new level of stress. I wasn't just keeping my head down in class whilst people sneered at me, or stabbing a mannequin whilst my father screamed abuse at me. I was fighting for my life.

"I can't fit anything else in my pack, its basically overflowing with supplies." Titan's voice echoed from the back of the cornucopia. I stood upright and glared at him.

"Well don't just freaking sit there!" I snapped angrily. "Help the rest of us."

Titan looked surprised at my outburst, his eyes slightly wide, but he followed my orders and began to help Red fill up her pack.

"My packs full now." India spoke up, beginning to grab left over supplies. She ran out of the cornucopia and tossed them over the edge. I finished packing up what I could, then slung my pack over my shoulder.

"Alright." I called out. "Toss everything else."

Titan grabbed a crate of food and began to haul it towards the edge of the island. I grabbed a few spare backpacks, running out of the cornucopia as I looked up at the sky. 3 minutes left.