Elaine Crudvent's POV

Cherry sighed, leaning against one of the four oak trees on the small island we used as shelter. I had chopped the rope bridges, so there was no way another tribute would be able to get to us, unless they took us out from long distance. The sun had begun to set, and shadows danced in the sky as the last light of day faded.

The cornucopia island had been all but abandoned, robbed of a lot of its supplies. The grass was stained red, the blood glistening under the now rising full moon. The only life on the island now was the careers, but they looked as if they were packing up to leave, god knows why. Both my allies were alive, and I found myself surprised Cherry was alive. She was young, and although she had me to look out for her, she still didn't stand much of a chance. But sometimes the winners are never expected.

The sound of the capital anthem blasted loudly, echoing throughout the arena and making my head and ears hurt. Eleven cannons had sounded throughout the day, so I was just waiting to see who was actually dead. The first death is Bryan, from district two.

He was tough competition, and I had expected to see him get further, although he would've been a tough battle for me, I probably could've taken him on. The next face is Isaac, the boy from four. I had never known him, so it wasn't a big deal to see him gone.

Cal, the boy from five is next. He was a good person on the inside, and I wouldn't have killed him if I didn't have to. He was a good person, but there is only one winner, so I couldn't go soft on each innocent tribute.

The fourth face was Chrystal. She was a scary tribute, and although I could've taken her on in battle, Cherry was deadly afraid of her and I didn't fancy her myself. I guess it was a good thing I wouldn't have to face her in the arena, she would be a decent fight for me.

The fifth death was Aubrey, the girl from seven. I was shocked by her death as she seemed quite strong, and district seven usually stand a good chance. But she was gone, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't relieved to see her gone.

Her district partner, Logan, showed next. I hadn't known the boy really, but he seemed as much of a bloodbath tribute as Cherry, so I wasn't really surprised to see him dead. Another tribute gone, although a battle with him would've been easy to win in the first place.

Cotton Lewis showed next, the boy from eight's face flashing through the sky. Like Logan, I wasn't surprised to see this jerk dead, and he would've been an easy kill had he survived.

The eight face to show in the sky was the young girl, Willow. She was so young and innocent, I wasn't in the least surprised to see her gone, she was young and didn't really know how to kill. The ninth face I saw was Esperanza, the girl from district ten. I hadn't known her, but I knew she was a bloodbath tribute from the start, so the fact that she was gone didn't bother me at all.

Her district partner, Zeke, flashed next, his face showing in the sky. He, like his district partner, seemed like a bloodbath tribute. I wasn't surprised to see he was gone, and it didn't make me super happy to see him gone. I was glad there was one less tribute to deal with, but I would rather one of the stronger tributes be gone. Ah well.

The final face is Ian, the boy from district eleven. I had seen him as a bloodbath tribute, so it didn't really surprise nor displease me to see him gone. The anthem played once more, before the faces disappeared and the arena went silent.

Sparrow yawned, stretching her arms out. "I'll take the first watch." Cherry volunteered."I probably won't be able to sleep anyways." Was she really that stupid? I grabbed her wrist and glared at her.

"Most definitely not!" I scowled. "Not with those memory gaps, you could get us all killed. I would take watch with you, but there is no point in you being awake if I am awake."