Devlin Summers' POV

I look up at the dark sky as the Capitol anthem begins to play. Sapphire’s head rests on my lap and I have my arm over Elaine as we lean back against a tree. Who knew that some of the best moments of my life would be spent in an arena where I was meant to fight to the death? Elaine sighs next to me as the anthem ends and the faces of the fallen tributes begin to show in the sky.

First is Florina and a wave of sadness sweep over me. I hadn’t known her long but she seemed like the type of person I would have normally avoided. Crazy, loud and childish. She was unpredictable and a danger to the group, but I’m sure we’ll all still miss her. Next was Cloud and I feel relief than guilt as a see his face disappear. He was strong and extremely violent; definitely not someone I would’ve liked to fight. The Capitol anthem plays again and I think at how I’d been relieved of Cloud’s death. Had I really changed that much in the arena? Sure I’d always been solemn and quiet, but I’d never been one to feel joy out of the pain of others. My hand absently came up to the scarring of my face and traced the mishmash of lines; something that I’d grown accustomed to doing in the arena. Seven left. I thought to myself. Only six more innocent teenagers had to die before one of us could go back. I looked around at the small group that was still with me, Elaine and Cherry. I didn’t want to kill them, Elaine and I had gotten close to say the least. I sort of wish it hadn’t happened now it would’ve made surviving the games so much easier.

I felt a sudden jolt run through my body and I fidgeted. I felt Elaine move next to me and Sapphire got up at my sudden movement.  Cherry, who had been sleeping by the shore of the lake we had decided to camp by got up to, she also seemed to feel the jolt. Before we could think about it the images of Sequin and Talon loomed over us in the vast darkness of the sky.

“Hello tributes, what an interesting day we had yesterday. So much confusion, it was amazing! But today will be a new type of confusion, because today you will be transformed for 24 hours.” says Talon.

“Transformed?” I think to myself.

Elaine tries to say something but it not clear enough to understand.

“What?” I ask.

My voice comes out as a neigh.

I look down at Sapphire who is looking back and forth from me to Elaine in a surprised state and as I look to Elaine I see why. She’s a monkey. Elaine looks down at her body in astonishment at the transformation. In front of us is Cherry, who is now a hippo. She slowly walks up to the lake and looks at her new hippo face before plunging in. Reluctantly I look down at my own body. Replacing my legs and pants are long thin legs with tiny black hairs; at the bottom I can see my hoofs. I gallop over to the water and look at my reflection. My face has morphed into that of a horse. Half of it is black and the other a reddish brown representing my burning. They can never forget it. I think to myself as I shake my head. Looking deeper into my reflection I see that I’m not just some horse, but a stallion, on which would have been fit for a King to ride in the medieval times.

I look back at where Elaine is exploring her new body and see Sapphire glowing with golden light. Her body begins to morph and stretch as she gradually grows. Her hind legs extend and her paws turn into feet. Upright she’s taller than Elaine usually is. Her front legs grow into arms and her paws shift until they become hands and fingers. As the rest of her body shifts I watch in disbelief as she grows into a human.

She looks about sixteen and five foot three. Her skin is tan, her hair which is tied back in a ponytail is dark brown and her eyes green. In human standards she’s quite beautiful. She looks around confused and then takes a first shaky step. Walking upright comes naturally to her and she gains confidence as she walks over to me. She opens her mouth and a weird noise comes out. It somewhat resembles a bark. Sapphire shakes her head and this time when she opens her mouth to talk a clear, sweet voice comes out.