Red Velvet's Bloodbath

This stings, I think as a woman injects my tracker into my arm. I bite my lip as the needle comes out. Titan smirks at my discomfort, "It doesn't last long, don't worry." he says. He had his tracker injected before me, so he could be right. I smile at him, "I hope so. I don't want to come to the arena with a numb arm." I say. He laughs, and winks at me. I let out a giggle; something I've perfected over the years.

Titan was right; the stinging and the numbness doesn't last very long, as my arm is fully recovered now. We land, and walk off to separate rooms. I meet Fran in mine, and she envelops me in a hug, bawling. "I'll miss you so much, Red!" she cries out. I hug her back, "Don't worry, you'll see me in a few weeks when I become the Victor." I say smiling confidently.

Fran pulls away and hands me the outfit I'm supposed to wear. I walk into a small dressing room and take off my current clothes. I replace them with a simple white T-shirt, a pale brown jacket with the number 1 sewn onto one sleeve, and my name, Red Velvet, on the other side. The pants are plain black, with a red stripe on the sides, and supple leather boots complete the outfit.

I come out and Fran clasps my charm bracelet on my wrist, and fixes my hair up in a high ponytail. If I'm going to be on a televised show, I have to look good. Even if the show is about murdering.

I smile brightly at her, "Thanks Fran. And stop crying," I tell her as her tears won't stop and her mascara is running, "Like I said, you'll see me in a few weeks when I come out of the arena." I add.

Fran laughs, "You're right." she smiles, "Goodluck Red." she hugs me one last time before I step on the platform that will take me to the arena. She waves goodbye at me as the glass whirls around me, securing me inside.

The platform rises, making me lose my balance, but I regain it after a few moments. Light greets me. I squint my eyes, letting it adjust, until the platform finally stops.

The timer starts to count down so I take a good look around, and the first thing I register is that we're floating. My eyes widen as I realize the only thing I'm standing on is my pedestal. I risk a look down, and all I see are tiny clouds and blue sky. Thank goodness I'm not scared of heights. Islands are scattered about, some small and decent, the others larger than even the District One square.

A rope bridge connects the pedestals and the cornucopia. In fact, rope bridges are the only thing connecting the islands together. The temperature is nice and warm. I like this arena already.

Sparrow from Eight stands at my left, ready to run, and Zeke from Ten is at my right. I see Callisto who is three tributes to my right and Ian, who is beside her. The rest, I don't bother naming because they'll be dead in a few minutes anyways.

I stand patiently on my pedestal (I'm not bothering to look for any supplies as we will be staying at the cornucopia anyway) until the gong sounds. When it does, I sprint as fast as I can, cursing under my breath for the bridge keeps wobbling under my feet. I reach the cornucopia island quickly, and grab a plain, double bladed sword. I prefer a katana, but this will have to do.

Someone screeches from behind me, and I see India grinning wickedly on top of Elaine. Both of them are clutching weapons and I am tempted to watch them, but an idiot swings an axe my way and I'm forced to duck. I look at my attacker, Cotton from Eight. He smirks, "Just because you're a girl doesn't mean I'll go easy on you." he taunts. Right, because that'll scare me off.

"Just because you're from an outlying district doesn't mean I'll go easy on you." I retort, swinging my sword. He blocks it with his axe, and I kick him on the stomach. Cotton stumbles, but manages to stay upright. He brings his axe up, preparing to give me a death blow, but I am faster, and before he has time to comprehend it, my sword is sticking out of his chest.