Devlin Summers' POV

I wake up, feeling groggy, I'm alone for the first time in the games, and my alliance is gone. I know Cotton is dead, but Bryan and Chase could be anywhere around here, and I don't know if I trust them anymore. I open my eyes, Sapphire is over me, she licks insistently at my face, and she's obviously inpatient. I roll over trying to get some more sleep, I haven't slept more than a couple hours since being sent to the arena, so I've survived in a zombie like state. Wandering around the island, with or without my allies. My only companion the dog licking at my face. Finally I sit up.

"Alright I'm up!" I say reaching out to scratch Sapphire behind the ears, she leans towards my hand. And rolls over on her stomach as a scratch her, I rub her stomach as I get up.

I stretch trying to alleviate the tenseness in my back from sleeping on uneven ground, packing up my sleeping bag I reach into my backpack. I find a loaf of bread and stuff it in my mouth, might as well eat it before it starts moulding, I think to myself. Sapphire looks up at me with expecting eyes, I reach into the bag again and pull out some beef jerky, her favourite, and throw it at her. She catches it in her mouth and devours it.

I finish up my bread and put my backpack on, I walk in the opposite direction that I came, Sapphire by my side. I've been trying to find the damn rope bridge, which we used to get on this island, since I got separated from the others. I've had little luck. This island is pretty large and I didn't pay any attention when we ran in.

After walking for hours I find a small pond, I stop and fill up my water bottles. Sapphire jumped into the pond and flopped around. I smiled at the dog, suddenly I feel a slight tingling on my back. Not painful just weird I roll my shoulders, hoping to get rid of the feeling but it doesn't work. Suddenly I feel the tingle intensify, it turns from slight discomfort to extreme paint in seconds. I fall to the ground and claw at my upper back, Sapphire splashes out of the water, she sprints to my side, her fur still dripping and begins pacing in front of me, I writhing on the ground as the pain intensifies, I feel my skin tearing open and hear the tear of my shirt.

Slowly the pain subsides, I lie on the floor sweating intensely, I cautiously bring my hand to my back, I feel a weird growth coming out of were there used to be nothing, I drag myself to the pond and stared at my reflection, my eyes open wide as I see the large white feathered wing that just grew out of my back, the opposite wing is black as coal and has a leather texture. As I look in awe at the wings that are now on my back the black one catches fire, it doesn't hurt, but as I see the fire I dive into the pond.

The fire is put out but as soon as I exit the pond it catches again, I drop on the floor slapping at the wing, all as Sapphire barks at me.

"Crap, Crap, no no no, not again." I say to myself in a quiet panicked tone, I remember my brother on that night, the fire burning my face, I relive that every second that I writhe on the floor, I suppose it would've been quite comical, however to me it wasn't, every moment that I shook on the ground was like reliving the most important event in my life, an event that I would rather forget ever happened.

Eventually I tired myself out, the wing continues ablaze, but I soon realize that it must be some cruel joke to the Capitol, noticing that I've finally calmed down Sapphire walks up to me she nudges my hand and I raise it to pat her head, assuring her that everything is fine.

Sapphire's ears perk up as we both here a crack from the woods behind us, I unsheathe the dagger strapped to my belt, I look into the woods with intent eyes, Sapphire crouches down beside me, ready to lunge at any sign of danger, Chase breaks through the bushes, he also has wings, although his are both covered in white feathers. I breath a sign of relief as Chase laughs, a thin smile spreads across my face.

"I thought you were all gone." I say, sheathing my dagger, I shake my hand at Sapphire, who relaxes she walks to Chase and gives him a good sniff, apparently she remembers his scent from before because she licks his outstretched hand before returning to my side.