Cherry Bruton's POV

I sighed in relief, and leaned against one of the four oak trees on my island. I winced in pain as a sharp peice of bark proofed my upper let shoulder. I had survived the bloodbath, though, and that was all that mattered. For now, anyways.

It was growing dark outside, and the surviving tributes abandoned the cornucopia, besides the careers, obviously. All of my alliance was alive; Sparrow, Elaine, and me. It was hard to believe such a weak little girl like me had survived twelve hours in a fight to the death.

A loud sound echoed through the arena, and in jumped in shock. It was a screeching sound, kind of like a dying narwhal being flushed down a toilet while being bashed with a baseball bat.

Then I realized it was the capital anthem, silly me! They really needed to remake it, it sounded awful! As the disgusting noise sounded, and bunch of faces appeared, one after another. It took me a moment to realize they were the dead tributes. Oh! I was such a dork. The first death is Bryan, the guy from district two. I had expected him to stand a chance, and, to be honest, he scared me.

The next death is Isaac, the boy from district four. I didn't know him, but whatever. That's one less person to have to face, and to be honest, district four usually had a good chance and he could've murdered me right on the spot if he wanted to.

Cal, the boy from district five was next. He was sorta nice, I guess, and I would prefer him over India any day. It was sad to see this boy gone, but I was relieved as well, I probably wouldn't be able to kill him even if I wanted to.

The fourth face to appear in the sky is Chrystal, the super scary girl from six. She scared me super bad, so I was kinda happy she wasn't here. She was one of the most frightening tributes, along with India, Noelle, and Callisto.

The next face is Aubrey, the girl from seven. I didn't know her really, but I was surprised she was dead, she looked like she could last a long time, unlike me. I would be gone within two days, I could guarantee it.

The sixth face is her district partner, Logan. I didn't know the boy, but I would have expected him to last longer than me, which he did not. I felt bad for his poor family, it would break my heart to see my sister die in the games, I imagine his family felt the same way.

The next face is Cotton Lewis, the boy from district eight. I didn't know him at all, but he was Sparrow's district partner so I had stayed away from him, I didn't want a fight with him, I would lose.

The eight death of the night is Willow, the young girl from district nine. She was like me in a way, and it broke my heart to see such a young girl be dead. I was upset with the capital, ripping young children away from their families and forcing them to fight in these games.

The ninth face to appear in the sky is Esperanza, the girl from district ten. Like most of the other tributes, I had not known her, but she must've had a family that missed her dearly, poor thing. I felt bad. Nine tributes had died, leaving just more than half left.

The tenth death of the day is Zeke, who is followed by the eleventh and last death, Ian. I didn't know either of them, but it sickened me to think they had been murdered. I shuddered.

The dying narwhal music played again, and the last face disappeared. Sparrow yawned, stretching her arms out. "I'll take first watch." I volunteered. "I'm not going to be able to sleep anyways."

Elaine grabbed my wrist, and stared at me. "Most definitely not! Not with the gaps, that could get us all killed! I'll take watch with you,if you want, but there is no point in you staying awake if I'm up." She frowned, making me feel like a six year old again.

I eventually gave up, and layed underneath the pink blanket I had gotten at the bloodbath, Sparrow by my side. I watched the night sky, the twinkling stars, there was no way I would be able to sleep after the bloodbath. But then the most unextpected thing happened, I fell asleep.