Devlin Summers' POV

I follow Elaine, silently we trudge through the forest. For the first time in the games I feel truly alone, every one of my allies dead Cotton had died in the bloodbath, Bryan disappeared and I had just watched Chase fall into the nothingness below the arena. It was still dark out, two days and already everyone who I had teamed up with was dead or gone. As if reading my mind Sapphire nudged my hand with her snout, I looked down at her and scratched her head.

"Well not everybody." I thought to myself as I looked down at my most loyal companion, she'd saved my life more times than I could count, together we made an almost unstoppable duo.

Elaine walked in front of me her shoulder length strawberry blonde hair moves side to side in her ponytail. She confidently strides through the forest in front of me, as we slowly make progress towards our unknown destination, like most people in district twelve I didn't know her but I'd seen her, her hair stuck out in a crowd and she acted with the confidence of a career. I'm sure she knew me too, but only as the kid with the burns, nothing else. Sapphire sniffed at the backpack I was carrying, I'd taken it off one of the tributes I'd killed.

I reach into the bag with my free hand and rummage around; eventually I find what Sapphire wants. Pulling out the pack of beef jerky I stifle a laugh.

"Of course you'd smell this out," I say taking some of the jerky out of the pack and throwing it into the forest, Sapphire bounds after it and I pick up my pace, catching up to Elaine.

"Where are we going?" I ask, my voice is serious portraying no emotion, as much as I'd love to trust Elaine, I practically just met her. I'm not usually one to take unnecessary chances.

"My campsite," she says after seeing my questioning look she continues. "I'm with some other girls," she explains "Sparrow, Florina ad Cherry." she says.

I nod and see Sapphire coming out of the forest, she's sprinting but still has the jerky in her mouth. When she gets close to me she walks by my side and finally starts eating the jerky, her tail wagging back and forth the entire time.

"So you think these wings are ever gonna go away?" asks Elaine.

I look back at my own wings, one charcoal black and one white.

I shrug, "Hopefully soon," I say "these things are kinda heavy."

She laughs.

I frown "That was serious."

"I know." she coughs trying to stifle the laughter, "I don't uh... know why I'm laughing."

I shrug again, suddenly I think of something, how did Chase manage to fall off the island with these wings. As a wrestle with the thought in my head, we hear voices, Sapphire growls, but doesn't bark. She knows not to give up our position.

"Elaine?" I hear a voice call out from in front of us. "Is that you?"

Elaine runs ahead and I jog after her, we both break into a clearing at the same time.

Three girls sit in the clearing, the surround a small campfire; I recognize them instantly as Elaine's allies. Florina sits directly in front of me; she's the first one to see us come through the bushes surrounding the clearing, her normally wild brown hair is pulled up I a ponytail to keep it out of her eyes, near where she's sitting is a bow and quiver of arrows which make me feel quite nervous, she eyes the bow running to it and aims it in my direction.

Next I see Sparrow, her back is to me but she turns around when she sees Florina's face, her katana is strapped to her back and she slowly unsheathes it when she sees me. The last girl to see me is Cherry, her hair a flaming red, somehow she's managed to keep it in a neat bun despite all the carnage that's ensued since the games began, her eyes are interesting and very beautiful, one is a deep violet and the other is blue grey, she looks in shock at me and then to Elaine her hands hovering uncertainly over the throwing knives tucked into her belt.