Break My Heart - Mason Mount

When you initially started your Masters at U Miami you knew it would be hard, but now that you're in the thick of it you realize that it's taking everything not to get overwhelmed with the workload. So when your closest friends suggest taking a night off to go clubbing, which is something you would never think of doing normally, you accept the invite before the responsible part of your mind can kick in. In the lead up to the evening you keep pushing away the small voice in your head telling you to stay home, feeling that you deserve a night to let loose after a couple of months of hard work. That same resistance has you pulling on your favourite leather skirt, paired with a lacy bralette and your slightly too casual converse high tops when it comes to getting ready in your small shared apartment.

••••

It seems like no time passes before you're in a slightly tipsy state as you and your two friends move around the dance floor. At first you don't notice the pair of eyes following your movements, but when your friend points out the guy in the sunglasses that can't seem to look away you see him sitting in one of the VIP booths with a couple of other guys. You become curious because of the shades he decided to wear inside the dark club, your head tilting instinctively as questions go through your mind. "Why is he wearing those awful glasses?" You ask your friends over the music, "maybe he's someone famous" one of them replies making you roll your eyes, "maybe he wishes he was" you mutter not realizing that he's gotten up from where he was sitting to approach you.

"I like your shoes" you jump at the voice that comes out of nowhere, with a quick spin you're now looking at the mystery guy that's been eyeing you up. "Oh these old things, wouldn't be a night out without them" you reply while blushing in embarrassment, "they're a whole lot better than those foot torture devices most girls wear" he replies making you giggle. When he smiles you bite your lip shyly, "can I ask you something?" He nods and places a gentle hand on your lower back to keep you close, "why the sunglasses?" he takes them off in response making you see his dark eyes for the first time, "privacy reasons I guess" you smile and quickly snatch them from his hand, "oooh should I be impressed" he chuckles and you slide them over your own eyes before posing dramatically. "I feel like that wouldn't even work on you" you slide them to the end of your nose to wink at the handsome man, "you'd be right mystery man" he shakes his head and you giggle again, not completely sure what has happened to you, never usually giggling when guys talk to you. He lowers his head towards your ear while splaying his hand fully against the skin of your lower back, making goosebumps appear along your spine, "I'm Mason" you smile at the British accent that comes with his words before placing a hand on his chest to steady yourself while you lift your lips up to his ear, "I'm Y/N" he smiles as he pulls back slightly to see your own smiling face, "it's very nice to meet you" he murmurs, "likewise" you reply while living in the moment by tugging him closer for a kiss, something that you would never do when sober.

••••

That kiss is the first of many over the next few days, your friends teasing you endlessly for becoming such a sappy romantic so quickly after meeting Mason. He invites you along to the many outings he takes with his friends, insisting that he wants to get to know you. Maybe you accepted all the invites because it's been so long since you've been with someone, and you felt cared about in a way that a guy cares about a girl that he likes. When you find out about Mason's career as a professional soccer player, you start to doubt the longevity of whatever it is you two are doing. You get the first taste of his lifestyle in Europe when his fans start to follow you in the hundreds on social media. That's when you see the first photos of you two around Miami, the attention nearly giving you a heart attack when all you want to do is get through your Masters degree without making a fuss.

On the day of Mason's flight back to London you slide into your apartment while catching your breath. "Did you run here?" Your one friend asks concerned when she sees you, "god yes, those photographers are fast" you reply and drop your bag on the floor with a thud. She walks over before placing a hand on your arm, "Y/N are you sure this is what you want?" you look up at her and smile, "it'll slow down, I'm sure of it" you say trying not sound unsure, "are you trying to convince me or yourself babe?" She replies with furrowed brows. When you don't respond she squeezes your arm and walks away leaving you to your own thoughts. With a shake of your head you go to your room to change into some sweats even though you know you'll be leaving again to say goodbye to Mason at the airport.

••••

A couple of weeks later the footballer convinces you to visit him in London, you reassure your friends that Mason's for real and is taking the relationship you've developed seriously. When you land at Heathrow the first person you spot is Mason wearing a ball cap and some sunglasses, a grin appearing on his face when you push through the crowd to jump into his arms. He chuckles as you bury your face into his shoulder, "missed you" you mumble and he kisses your head, "missed you darling" he says and you drop your feet back to the ground. He takes your bag before he leads you out of the airport, you squished against his side making you giggle and curl your fingers into his hoodie.

You quickly get pulled into Mason's world, tagging along to Chelsea matches and team parties. Maybe you were naïve when you first fell for the midfielder in Miami, because on his turf you can truly see how big of a deal he is in English soccer. The amount of girls throwing themselves at him making your smiles become less genuine when you're at clubs with the team. It's on one of those nights out that while drinking along with some of the girlfriends you watch Mason pull your heart out of your chest and stomp on it. The drinks start to taste sour as you turn away from the scene unfolding of your significant other making out with someone that isn't you. The girls you started to get along with try to stop you while you're leaving but you shake them off and pull out your phone to call an Uber, already booking a flight back home as the driver takes you back to Mason's place, where you were staying for your visit.

••••

"Serves me right for going out" you mumble into your friend's shoulder a couple of hours later. "You didn't know Y/N, how could you" she replies and kisses your head. You shake your head, "I crossed an ocean for him, I'm such an idiot for trusting someone like him" she sighs and runs her fingers through your hair, "he doesn't matter babe, he's the idiot and shame on him for doing this" you sniffle and sink into her even further. "Being single is so much better than this crap" she laughs and you do too, "you've got that right Y/N" you smile at her feeling your heart start to heal, friendship holding more power than any relationship ever could.