140. Her Peaceful Moments

As the screen above Athena disappeared, She was hit hard by emotions. She felt a mixture of guilt and heartbreak. Donavan's waves of agony from the images she had just seen had made her anxious. It was unmistakable that he was in immense pain and he felt betrayed. But even though none of this was her doing and all the misery unleashed upon Donavan was Dante's fault, it made no difference and didn't ease her pain. Donavan was hurt and it was all because of Athena. The thought of causing Donavan unnecessary pain brought tears to her eyes. She was sobbing quietly. She was even more disturbed by the fact that she was not going to be able to see Donavan and comfort him and tell him what Dante had told him was far from the truth. There was nothing she could do for now. She couldnt leave Dante's side. Not while her parents were Dante's prisoners. She had to put her love for Donavan behind her and never think of him again just like how he had to do the same.

Athena felt the restraints on her hands suddenly come off as she felt Dante getting close. Dante appeared in th room and spoke as he touched the ground "See, my love. I helped you out. I broke the bad news to Donavan that you hold no love for him. I told him what you couldnt bring yourself to reveal. Then, I summoned Alexander and asked him to heal him in the infirmary and hand him over to Marcus and Dylan. Now where is my thank you? I went easy on him. What more do you want from me?" He then frowned as he noticed Athena had remained sitting on her bed with her back to him and her hands covering her face "He spoke "Turn around. Dont you turn your back to me. I could have been more brutal to him but I showed you consideration. The least you can do is turn around, look me in my eyes and say thank you."

Athena stood up and turned around and walked slowly to where Dante was standing and spoke "You want a thank you? You hurt me Dante."

Dante's eyes turned silver suddenly and he stated "You are crying. Someone would pay for this."

Athena's eyes widened as she noticed the effect her tearful state had on Dante. She swallowed hard and took a few steps further to stand right in front of him. She knew she had to calm him down or he was going to unleash his anger on some innocent souls. She slowly lifted her hands and run them up and down dante's chest "Calm down Dante. I am fine. Everyone cries. Why are you over reacting?."

Dante closed his eyes and took a deep breath. As he opened his eyes, Athena let out a sigh of relief. His eyes were back to the normal grey colour. Dante narrowed his eyes " I have had enough of this Donavan-saga Athena. I didnt kill Donavan for you since I knew you would be crying your eyes out for months if not years. So I showed him mercy and spared his life. I even gave him a second chance of becoming a true Arkansan again by giving him to his family to enrol him on a conversion program. But instead of getting a thank you, I return and see you with tears of sadness in your eyes. Now it makes me think, why should I bother with any of this? Why should I show clemency and mercy for your sake when you don't even give a damn? It seems to me that Whether I kill your lover boy or let him live, it makes no difference. You are still going to stab me in my heart for his treatment ......"

Athena spoke with annoyance "I am not even doing anything right now. I hardly said anything after your sudden stunt. I watched helplessly as you used my words and twisted them to hurt Donavan. But I decided against confronting you further since there is no point. And tell me, how did I stab you in your heart?"

Dante spoke "You dont even need to say anything or do anything, my love. Maybe it was better that way if you were fighting me again and throwing force spheres at me. Your eyes did the fighting and speaking. The biggest stabbing wound is from you letting your tears fall for a total stranger. Seeing your tears makes me want to spill blood. I need to mend my wounded heart somehow. Maybe I should bring forward trials of captives. Right before my commemorations tonight maybe i should condemn a few thousand to death and ..."