29. Truth Hurts Always

The healer coven and Evelina's pack were sitting opposite the council of guardians and the elder tree protector council members around a round table. They were listening intently as plans were shared. The whole state was now prepared for war. The borders had been secured with every magical spell possible and most the artefacts and enchanted stones mined in Alaska were now put into good use protecting the borders.

It was now Athena's turn to speak:" we would be transferring anyone wishing to leave Alaska to Valera from to tonight. From there, they would be escorted to a neutral territory of their choice preferably to live amongst humans. However, we can't guarantee fast transfer since we must wait to ensure we choose a safe time for passage outside the borders of North America. The Arkansan enforcers are especially deployed at the borders to intercept passage and we would never risk any ones safety. We can only hope and pray to be able to help rescue all whom wish to leave before the defences at the borders break down. To ensure that we can achieve this, we may have to come up with a good plan to distract and delay Dante and his army to deflect them after leaving the Northern Territory for this direction. Our battle is key. We are the symbol of hope for many. The longer we resist, it would mean more hope for the ones wishing to avoid Dante's offensive attack on their people."

Avita, the most experienced elder spoke thoughtfully "Of course Athena. We understand the sacrifices you healers are willing to make for this land. But you must know most Alaskans would stay behind and fight. Not many have signed up to leave. Only vampires and humans have so far sighed up since they know their faith would be worse than death if captured by the Arkansans. I am sure half your number would be enough to get them to safety soon and all 8 of you would be most likely united full force to do what you were born to do. Therefore I would be speaking on behalf of all of us that we do not wish to delay your other obligations such as leaving for rescuing people in need from the soon to be war torn Northern Territory or the invaded central territory."

Cyrus as a senior guardian also confirmed his agreement "Yes, we do not wish for you to be too engaged in our conflict. From our understanding you are only spending so much time assisting and overseeing our preparation because of Athena. The strength of the bond between healers is respected by us. We know that you can not bring yourselves to force Athena to abandon her home land. Therefore, we release all of you of any commitment to us. If you choose to rescue our humans and vampires, we would be in your depth. But that is all. We understand after fulfilling this rescue mission for us, You must prioritise the areas in need such as the central territory and the Northern Territory where the Arkansan enforcers are focused."

Tattiana smiled warmly "Thank you for your understanding. But surely we would be able to do all in our power to defend Alaska after rescuing the most vulnerable citizens in all territories we can reach in time.

Hillaria, an elder council member, spoke with concern; "There is one concept about healers we wont be forgetting. You do rescue but you don't put yourselves in situations where there is a high risk of capture. Surely, you would rather not be captured in a battle and be used as prized possessions or precious weapons in the hands of any warlock with dark intentions. we understand that you could then be forced to be involved in causing damage beyond repair if captured and forced to obey the likes of Dante."

Evelina shook her head "Hillaria, I think you are underestimating the healers. I agree with Tatiana. You don't need to worry about how these girls manage their time. They know what they are doing. We are also willing to help the healers in removing the vulnerable citizens and take them to the temporary shelter in Valera."

Athena spoke again; " I assure you that We have planned for a rescue mission as well as a recruitment mission. I know no one wants to hear this but you can't deny that there is a possibility that..... That Alaska won't make it. In that case we would need some recruits ready in Valera to house those who are fleeing the war including the fighters. So we will multi task back and forth rescuing, recruiting and training the fighters for a time of emergency."