22. Falling Apart

Demetrious was standing frozen in place as he saw familiar images among the wanted list Dante was announcing. He had come across some of them in Dinner time gatherings of nobles, at Phoenix Academy or alongside freedom fighters at the borders. He was concerned for all of them but not as much as he was fearing for Evelina.

He was certain that some of those lives would be spared upon capture. Especially those who were underage when they had left were not going to be tormented too much. The non Arkansans like most healers were also not going to be punished so badly. They were not freedom fighters. They were rescuers.

Donavan and Alexandra were definitely safe since they were also closely related to Dante's commanders and their crimes were not as heavy as Evelina's. After all, from Dante's view they only had left Arkansas without permission. That was all. They were associating with freedom fighters back then but they were never caught in action.

Alexandra had joined a peaceful organization. The healers only acted in self defence and it was not an unforgivable crime to join them. In case of Donavan, he had been taken away by his mother so he was innocent. He had no control over the situation when he had exited the borders. So Dante was not going to come down too hard on them. But Donavan's mother, Prudence and Alexandra's aunt, Lilian were going to be surely locked up in dungeons for years to come. They were guilty of taking away valuable minors with Arkansan bloodlines.

Demetrious thought about Dante's vows regarding the conversion program for most offences which could be used alongside or as an alternative to being locked up in dungeons. The conversion program was not a death sentence. That was an intense programme that consisted of daily routines that were each related to every one of Dante's protocols. Demetrious had no knowledge of the content of the programme. But he was almost inducted into one when Dante had lost patience with him breaking curfews but again Leona had come to his rescue.

Demetrious was certain that Donavan, Alexandra and even the trio were most likely only going to be forced to undergo the conversion process to turn their loyalties around. Then they were going to be simply handed over to their families and most likely offered to join to serve a division. But, someone like Evelina was not going to be let off that easily. He knew that Dante detested association with freedom fighters but he hated the leaders the most. Evelina was a leader and assassin who had caused injury and delays to Dante's enforcers time and time again

His heart was beating fast. Evelina was in danger. Evelina was in a totally distinct category. She was an outlaw. the fact that she had managed to get herself 3 followers from the noble families to accompany her on her quest in assisting the freedom fighters made her offence even heavier. she was a traitor. what was Dante planning for her?

Dante's voice brought him out of his thoughts. He was so drowned in his toughts that he hadn't noticed that everyone was gone.

"How was your induction brother? Did Edwin and Edward show you around last night." Dante asked with interest.

Demetrious looked at Dante warily. He was now walking around him slowly. His waves of power were as overwhelming as always. He hated his helplessness . But he had to play the obedience card for as long as possible. He was not going to be any use to anyone if he was ever put under house arrest or was given curfews again.

Demetrious used his politest tone; "of course. Thank you for allowing me to stay with that division. I think I can learn so much from them and mother is content that I am left out of action."

Dante laughed loudly "I nearly forgot, how are the courtships mother has forced you to endure before a chosen one is going to be arranged to be married to you."

Demetrious looked down. his voice was a whisper now; "at breakfast time, she warned me to make sure I was on my best behaviour tonight. She said I am required to spend dinner time sitting next to Larissa who is Lucia's younger sister. I know not how to entertain her. When I joined Phoenix academy, She was in the same year as me and was assigned to show me around. Even then I hardly ever said a word to her. Is there anyway you could speak with mother to convince her to allow me to choose my courtships?"

Demetrious couldn't believe himself. He was actually pleading to Dante to help him. But he was so desperate not to be forced into the company of the girl he despised all these years. He never thought he would hate having to leave home schooling at 14. His mother had almost convinced Eros to let him remain at home but his father had dismissed any threats to his sons life. Eros believed firmly that any Ronas blooded warlock above the age of 14 could easily defeat any low life freedom fighter who dared come close. Eros was right. His sons were much more powerful than their class mates and even average adult warlocks. The life threats to Demetrious and Dante were non existent. Ironically Dante was the number one threat to the well being of any noble he felt like tormenting in his years at the academy. Demetrious had to personally use diversions and concealing spells when Dante with his usual sidekicks, Xavier, Sean, Tanya and Lucia were chasing their victims to terrorise them. He never expected to have to do the same after Dante's 18th birthday. When Eros retired, Dante indeed added those four noble blooded loyal followers to his lineup of commanders. That was when the darkest hours in Arkansas started. Demetrious wished that he could wake up from this nightmare that his brother had brought on his people. But this was a bitter reality that he could not defeat alone.

Dante smirked and shook his head; " Demetrious, you are naive. You actually think I am going to interfere with the events that can teach you some overdue lessons. Not a chance brother. This is more fun. Make sure you include details of your companionships at the dinner table in all your reports. Make no mistake, I would force you to meet the same girls again for even a lengthier time, let's say in a banquet with dancing and music involved if you fail to report to me when I demand it. My advice to you is to keep silent and let the girls do the talking. Just listen intently and nod. And remember to take notes. I want details." There was no way he was going to pass up the opportunity tease his brother and humuliate him. He was going to enjoy hearing about his helpless brother dating girls he couldn't stand. It was way too entertaining.

"Dante, I am certain I would fail at keeping my companion happy for the hour long feast. You know well what mother is capable of if she feels I am defying her orders. She would take it as a sign of my disobedience rather than seeing that I am hopeless at talking to a girl like Larissa. Any girl but her." Demetrious was biting back the words he really wanted to say. Lucia's family were heartless nobles with tendency to only be interested in talks of war and conquer. Larissa was also exactly like her sister Lucia. Full of hate with a stone cold heart. She was going to be joining the trackers soon. She had already passed most of the asseessments. "Just great". Demetrious thought "Another deadly assasin gracing the Arkansan army".

Dante's menacing voice echoed through the walls. His tone turned serious now; "Well brother you have no one to blame but yourself. After the stunt you pulled with Evelina, you deserve everything that mother is going to throw your way."

Dante stood within inches of his brother and lifted his chin up to force Demetrious to look into his eyes. Dante spoke with a cold, hard tone; "The day Evelina is brought to me by my enforcers, I will allow you to get your revenge on her before I start my punishment for her. She used her friendship with you and tricked you while she ran away. Brother I assure you that she would endure the most severe punishing treatments, a noble has ever had to go through for their crimes. I promise you."