4.9

𓅓

𓅓

— The four had arrived at a small cafe– or, that's what Hermione called it. Hermione and Ron sat beside each other, Finley and Harry taking the other side of the table.

"What about all the people at the wedding? Do you think we should go back? I know they're safe now, but they won't be if they stay there." Harry started the tense conversation. He had his hands on the table, one of them in his mouth as he chewed at his fingernails.

"They were after you, mate. We'd put everyone in danger by going back."

"Ron's right," Hermione agreed.

A waitress with her headphones blaring in her ears walks up to the group, clearing her throat obnoxiously. "Coffee?"

"A cappuccino, please." The words wondered the three who didn't understand the term. Muggle speech.

"Mm. You?" She gestured to Ron.

"Uh, what she said." Ron gestured to Hermione.

"Same," Harry added as the waitress looked over at him.

"Do you have any ice cream?" Finley spoke up, craving the cold food.

The waitress nodded. "Flavor?"

"Chocolate, please."

With that, the waitress walked off. Finley smiled to herself, giddy about the ice cream.

"So, where do we go from here? Leaky Cauldron?" Ron suggested.

"No. Not anywhere Harry has gone before. We stay off the grid. They won't find us that easily that way."

"It's too dangerous," Hermione added on to what Finley said. "If Voldemort really has taken over the Ministry, then none of the old places are safe. Everyone from the wedding will have gone underground, into hiding."

"God, my rucksack with all my things. I've left it at The Burrow." Harry whined, sad about his lost artifacts.

Finley cleared her throat, gesturing to the velvet bag he gifted her one Christmas ago. His eyes widened. "You have it?" She nodded. "You're joking."

"Besides, I've had all the essentials packed for days, just in case." Hermione added.

"You and I think very alike, Mione." Finley commented. A bad feeling crept into Finley's gut.

As if on cue, the door to the cafe opened, two people walking in.

Finley turned her head slowly to watch them pass. She observed as they sat down in the chairs at the bar.

"By the way, these jeans– not my favorite." Ron complained.

Finley tuned out the conversation, staring down the two men that entered. She didn't like it.

She nudged Harry. He was already watching.

One of the men stuck his hand in his pocket, pulling out a wand. Finley gasped.

"Down!" Harry and Finley yelled just as he turned around to throw a spell at the four.

The four scattered across the ground of the cafe, finding cover. "Stupefy!" Harry shouted at one of the men, holding his wand out.

Finley drew her own wand, pointing it at the other and silently cursing him to fly into the wall behind him.

It got quiet as the cafe was destroyed once more.

Finley eyed the man behind the counter. She didn't have a clear shot yet.

Just as he popped up, Ron and Hermione shot at him. The man shot at Hermione, but she ducked and sent a spell back. "Petrificus Totalus!"

The man fell to the floor.

Finley panted, standing up fully. The waitress from earlier exited from the back, eyes full of shock as she scanned the destroyed cafe.

"Go! Leave!" Hermione snapped.

"Now!" Finley growled. The woman turned away, escaping by the back.

"Lock the door. Get the lights." Harry commanded, marching forward. Ron used his new device to get the lights out, as Hermione shut the blinds and locked the door.

Finley stormed behind the counter, picking the man up. As soon as she had him in her grip, she socked him in the jaw. She threw another punch, and another, and another. She didn't stop– she couldn't. Finley was furious.

She didn't stop until Hermione grabbed her shoulders, pulling away. The three eyed Finley with shocked expressions. Finley didn't meet their gaze.

Finley panted heavily, hands bloodied and torn.

"This one's name's Rowle," Harry started to identify. They needed to move on. "He was on the Astronomy Tower the night Snape killed Dumbledore."

"This is Dolohov," Ron motioned to the frozen guy Finley just beat up. "I recognize him from the wanted posters. So, what are we gonna do with you both, eh? Kill us if it was turned 'round, wouldn't you?"

"We aren't killing anyone," Finley replied sternly.

"If we kill them, they'll know we were here." Harry added.

"Ron..." Hermione muttered.

"Suppose he did Mad-Eye. How would you feel then?" Ron turned back to look at Harry and Hermione. Finley was already at his side.

"It's better we wipe their memories."

"You're the boss," Ron stated back to Harry. "Hermione..." Ron wiped blood from her chin with his finger as he passed. "...You're the best at spells."

Finley walked away, letting Hermione do the obliviating. She sat down in a chair, leaning her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands.

She heard footsteps approach her. She didn't look up as Harry placed a hand on her slouched back.

"Fin..."

"Not now, Harry. Not now."

+++
- J.S.

S