Chapter 593: Artifact?

“Huh? Is there something for me in it?” The thug asked.

“Of course,” Souta said as he threw a piece of gold coin in the air.

The thug stretched out his hand and caught the piece of gold coin. Opening his palm, he observed the coin in his hand.

“Oh, go on. You can tell me what you wanted to know.” The thug said as he put the gold coin in his pocket.

“Do you know something about the recent incident regarding the people that died because of their own bite?” Souta asked.

The thug opened his eyes widely before he looked left and right trying to find if there were people around him.

After finding that there’s no one around him, he breathed a sigh of relief. He narrowed his eyes and looked at Souta.

“You’re not from this place, right?” He asked.

“What makes you think so?” Souta raised his eyebrows at the reaction of the thug.

“That topic is forbidden in the streets. People believe that as long as you don’t mention it, you will not suffer the curse.” The thug explained.

“Curse?”

“Yeah, we believe that it is a curse that’s haunting the Dukedom of Halbun. This is not the first time that this happen. My pops told me that this incident also occurred exactly twenty-seven years ago. He told me that some people excavated a cursed artifact that day and it leads to the series of curses across the entire dukedom.” The thug explained slowly.

“Then, do you believe in that story?” Souta asked.

“I have no choice but to believe it. Nothing will happen to me anything if I didn’t mention it so it’s better to be safe but… You, you had to be careful. You’ve mentioned it. According to my father, you will become the target of the curse.” The thug warned.

“Oh? But I heard that drunkards in the pub mentioning it several times.” Souta tilted his head.

“Not everyone knows about it. That’s why people kept dying from the same curse. Do you think those people will mention it if they know that they shouldn’t utter those words?” The thug said with a serious expression. “Since you gave me a silver coin, I’ll just warn you.”

He then turned around and left. “Be careful.”

Souta looked at the back of the thug with a deep frown.

This incident wasn’t new. It happened decades ago. It seems that the background of the culprit was deeply rooted in this city.

Some people know that it was a curse but Souta thought that it didn’t come from a cursed artifact. Instead, it comes from a person with a curse attribute.

“Twenty-seven years ago… I need to investigate what really happened that day.” Souta muttered to himself.

‘It seems that your guess is right. If this incident occurred in the past then there’s a high possibility that some organizations are involved with it. You need to be careful.’ Saya’s voice sounded in his mind.

‘I know.’ Souta nodded before he disappeared. He reappeared on the rooftop of a six-storey building.

Swoosh!

Even though it was dark, Souta could clearly see what was happening below him. His eyes followed the thug’s movement until he reached his home.

After all, Souta wanted to talk to a person that know the events decades ago and the father of the thug know it. Before he began his investigation with the other noble families he had to meet the thug’s father.