Building The Foundation

Elizabeth's ears focused in intently on the whispered conversation heard at the front door. The more she strained the more clear it became as she tuned into the tense conversation between the mother and son.

"Did you lose the attitude?" She questioned sharply, her tone carrying the same threatening nature it had earlier in the office.

"Are you going to let me in?" He huffed in a deep tone, resentment clear in his response.

"If you step even one tip of a toe out of line, you will leave. Am I clear?"

There was a shuffling sound followed by silence as Jason rolled his eyes and let out a large exhale, his body leaning against the door frame. "Can I see my mate?"

"Am I clear, Jason?" Her voice sharp like a slick dagger.

"Yes." He replied bluntly returning her glare with one of frustration.

"Good." She said with a nod. "And tell your little furry henchmen to stay off my flowers." She bitterly spat at him as she opened the door fully and stepped aside so he could enter.

"Give me back my mate and maybe I'll care." He said in a bored tone as he walked past her and directly into the kitchen following his nose in the direction of the scent of lavender. His mom following quickly behind him with a clenched jaw.

Elizabeths eyes widened as he stepped in the room, a small thick rectangular box in hand, elegantly wrapped in gold paper with a little red bow. His eyes visibly relaxed when he took in her face, but he didn't walk further choosing to stay by the island a few feet from the entryway.

"Jason." Adolphus said gruffly standing up and turning to face him giving him a nod and walking back into the prep part of the kitchen.

"Dad." He returned the nod, feeling his fathers eyes penetrate him with avid disapproval though it was not explicitly stated out loud, that was his mother's job. 

"Elizabeth..." he almost breathed out taking a couple of steps forward causing her frame to shrink in the chair in response, his feet stopping immediately in their tracks. "I brought you something." He quickly said, the smallest trace of guilt laced in his eyes before he dropped them to the box he had in his hand.

"... W-why are you here?" She asked back quietly, her eyes dropping for a few seconds to the box before  looking back at his.

"I wanted to see you. To make sure you were alright..." he said back, his eyes darting to his parents who were closely watching the interaction. "Can you guys leave for a second?"

"No." They both said in unison with his mom giving the added flair of folding her arms and providing a curt expression.

"You didn't care if I was alright before." Elizabeth said back only because she felt comfortable to do so with Jason's mother and father both present.

Jason's jaw tensed and he turned his head to the side to stare out the window above the sink in frustration.  "I got you a phone." His tone lower and he breathing deeply through his nose.

"... thank you." She said looking down at the box in his hand, wondering why he bothered to have it so nicely wrapped if he was just going to tell her what it was.

"It's already programmed with all the numbers you'll need. I had Brandon from IT set it up for you." He said, looking back at her as he finished his last words, them softening from the moment of frustration.

"That was nice of him." She said eyeing him in caution, feeling just as awkward as he did at the moment for different reasons.

"My number is in there..." he said quietly in a suggesting manner. "You could call or text me.. anytime. If you need anything." His eyes unsure and not at all confident that she would do so.