A Change of Pace

For the remainder of their lunch, Jason remained quiet but stayed in close proximity to Elizabeth with his body shifted towards her and his arm still casually resting on the back of her chair. Elizabeth and Joseph engaged in small conversation somewhat muted now that he was present. Feeling as if they could no longer speak so candidly, like gossiping co-workers when their boss was present. However, even when the conversation had seemed to lull with him present, Jason still became slightly annoyed at how much more easily she seemed talk to Joseph than she did with him.

After they discarded their trays, Jason carrying hers much to her surprise, they left the mess hall with Jason ensuring his fingers were laced with hers as they walked wordlessly back to the room where she was being tutored. Joseph made sure to be a few steps behind the two, so that they could walk together without himself being immediately present as an active third wheel. When they finally reached the room, Jason gave her another swift kiss on top of her head and murmured that he would be back to pick her up in a couple of hours, before returning himself to the Beta's.

Joseph and Elizabeth returned to their previous seats at the table, and Geoffrey looked like a well rested and newly invigorated version of himself after the hour long break from his needed services. "You're back." he said with a warm smile, and his hands wrapped around the top handle of the wooden cane. "I'd figure we would take a change of pace for the rest of this afternoon, and we will discuss the roles in the pack." his genuinely sweet voice said smoothly as he shifted in the chair next to her.

"Okay..." she said taking note of the different subject, most likely being pushed by Jason who had visited Geoffrey prior to seeking her out.

"We'll start at the top, and then reach the bottom." Geoffrey smiled on at her as he held a blank piece of paper in front of him, a shaky frail hand making an almost perfect circle at the top of the middle page. "This circle will represent the Alpha, obviously you know that in Shaded Mountain, Jason is considered the Alpha of the pack." he said, scribbling a little J into the center of the circle.

"Mhm..." she said finding this moment to be almost certainly indicative that Jason had a hand in this lesson, but holding her tongue and nodding on.

"The Alpha is a male wolf that is considered the most powerful among the pack. Their strength and prowess is unmatched. They are responsible for everyone within the pack, whether it means rearing in bad behavior or offering protection and support to those who are weaker and in need of it. While, the pack is a community, the alpha has the final say in all decisions that may affect the packs future and or reputation." Geoffrey said giving a brief description of the leaders role.

"Interesting..." she said, not really interested in the subject whatsoever, feeling as if this was a "Toot Jason's horn" moment.

"A wolf ascends to Alphaship either through birth right or challenging. Meaning, that either the male was the first born son in a long line of Alphas and inherited the qualities and strength of their father and their fathers father. Or, additionally, a wolf who feels that they are more qualified for the Alpha title, may challenge the current Alpha. If that wolf wins, they immediately assume the role as the Alpha of the pack, any heirs of the previous Alpha would either be forced to conform to a lower rank in the pack, be exiled, or executed. A challenge rarely happens, but it is not unheard of. Our current Alpha is in his position as the result of a challenge." Geoffrey went on.

"I'm sorry, a challenge? What is that? Like a field test or skills test, something along those lines?" Elizabeth questioned, not knowing why it would be such a rare happen stance, she felt everyone would be challenging for the title all the time if it was that easy to become top dog.

"It's a fight to the death." Joseph said bluntly, with no sensitive emotion behind his words.

Elizabeth's eyes darted back and forth between the two men, losing her voice for a moment as she put together that Jason was in his position because he killed another man with his bare hands. She was being forced to reside with a murderer, an all powerful psychotic murderer.