She Took The Stairs

"Marks on his way back." He said looking down at his phone and relaying the message the Beta sent. "He'll take you back to my parents house."

"Where have you been?" She said the hand that was once holding his hand grabbing awkwardly at her bicep, her body facing his side as he continued to tap away distractedly at his phone.

"Busy." He said quickly before starting to stride down the long hallway towards the exit of the floor, intending to meet Mark at the elevator.

"Busy with what?" She said taking rushed steps to catch up to his abrupt movement with a fast pace.

"Work." His one worded responses keeping an equally short tone, as his phone began to divert from one screen to the next indicating he was multitasking.

"You haven't responded to any of my calls or texts." Her voice flowing from behind him as his strides were longer than hers enabling him to move more distance quicker.

"I haven't had the time." He said, as he was tapping another worded response into the body of an email.

"Well, it seems you're very familiar with your phone. Surely, you could have found a second to let me know you were okay." She said in light frustration, the way her voice faltered showed it leaned more toward upset than anger.

"Elizabeth, I am an Alpha of a large pack. Forgive me, for not finding the time to respond to your random musings of the moment or gushing over what you're eating at each meal." He rolled his eyes, referencing several of the texts she sent in a vague manner indicating that he was receiving as well as reading them.

"Why are you angry with me?" She questioned directly. "From what I recall neither of us were very nice to each other the last time we were together." She said grabbing at his bicep so she could gain leverage in keeping up with his pace.

"I'm not angry, and I don't want to discuss our personal life for all ears to hear." He said firmly, trying to bring an end to the conversation.

"Well, seeing as I can't get you to talk to me any place else, I don't really think we have a choice." Her grip tightening on his bicep trying to call his attention and get him to look at her.

He let out a large exhale still very over the conversation and not giving in to her request for further attention than what he was already providing her. "As I said, I run a large pack. I have spent an excessive amount of time with you recently and have neglected some of my duties. I am now playing catch up. I can't be at your beck and call at all hours of the day and night."

"No, but again, you could at least tell me that instead of choosing not to respond to me at all for days." she said arguing her point, she rushing in front of him and stopping him with her body, it only being effective mentally as there was no way she would have been able to stop him physically.

"Elizabeth." He shook his head and looked off to the side, keeping his eyes off of her entirely. "This is not the time or the place. I'm not making a scene here because you feel as if you're not getting enough attention." His voice getting lower as he was using discretion.

"Why won't you look at me?" She questioned, not allowing him to frustrate her further by his words alluding that she was just being needy.

"Can we not do this right now?" He said his jaw beginning to tense as he once again tried to end the conversation.

"Look at me Jason." She said back firmer, dismissing his request.

A sigh erupted from his lips as his eyes once again rolled, them landing on her as he stared blankly at her, no emotion showing behind their green depths. "Happy?" He questioned quickly, the longer he looked at her the more expectant his eyes became, in hopes that she would be satisfied with his obliging her.