Fractured

Heavy steps with a prevalent limp led Elizabeth back in the direction to the diner in the chill of the early morning. She peered into the windows of the deserted shadow filled restaurant, ensuring that she could see no movement within. After a moments pause, she began to search for a rock large enough that could permit her entrance, the task of leaning over and scouring for one in the cloak of the dark, proved to be harder than originally anticipated. She was extremely fatigued, her body had quickly used up all her fat stores over the last week and half and began to eat away at her muscles leaving her aching with random bouts of vertigo becoming more prevalent and increasing in frequency as time progressed.

When she finally found a rock that could break the window on the glass door, it took her three attempts to be succesful. The first two attempts, she hardly found the strength to do more than cause a clatter agaisnt the thick glass. The third attempt she had reached a level of angered frustration resulting in her own teeth clenching and furious tears, taking the last bit of her strength with the throw, the force utilized fueled by the turbulence of her emotions and the severity in which she felt them. She was so weakened mentally, emotionally and physically that she couldnt even find joy in her success. Instead she limped forward blankly, moving completely in autopilot as she reached her arm through the crater like gap in the doors window and fumbled around for the inner lock, cutting her flesh open in the process but not stopping until she heard the resounding click.

Inside the diner was almost no better than the cold elements of the outside, the floor tiles chilling her body through the calloused, cracked and bleeding pads of her feet. Her mind began to process the possibility of reprieve in the form of nutrients, shelter and rest, but this proved to only worsen her condition as she stumbled forward and had trouble maintaining a straight stride. Eventually becoming so disoriented from the driving thoughts of food that she crashed into the countertop off to the side of the kitchen door, protruding hip bones meeting the hard surface that extended the length of the restaurant, as her upper body collapsed ontop of it with wavering elbows fighting agaisnt a black out and not wanting to permit her head to touch the surface. She was less than five feet away from the swinging kitchen door and yet every fiber of her being was telling her she could not make it.

She broke down and cried, shaking violently without care for how loud her empty desperate wails sounded in the echoing desolate diner. Her will to live was quickly fading. Despite, being in a place of food and shelter. Despite, Alex being on the way to help her. Despite, how hard she had fought to get here in this moment. She no longer could find the desire to push on, feeling as if her life was not her own. Feeling like a stranger to herself with thoughts and emotions that dominated her own being, turning her into nothing reminiscent of what she once was. She didn't belong in this world, stuck in a limbo at the halfway point, failing to adapt to either side of an endless back and forth struggle that was ripping her in half by firm grips on opposite extremeties. She was scared and alone... A broken down shell left to her own devices, and caving under the immense pressure of loneliness and absolute weakness. Finally garnering the freedom she had desired, but not in the way she had wanted.

Just as she dedided she had completely given up, a voice called out to her without a body owning its volume.

Well... it's almost time then... Just a few more things before you leave. Uncle Dominicks gruff upset voice echoed through her head as her eyes ran dry, her head laying on the cold surface of the countertop and their stare fixated on the shut door. Reminding her there was always more that needed to be done.

I feel like I'm losing my little girl. Aunt Shelly's voice flowed in every crevice of her brain as she slowly blinked. A pang in her heart forming at the haunting words.

So you still want to go? Alex's voice reverberated in her head with disappointment, as her head began to slowly nod in response. A guilt lacing her decided actions.