I Got You

Alex had spent the last three days affixed to Elizabeth's bedside. He would leave only to shower and eat when she was asleep, and then would immediately return so that she did not wake and discover his absence. When it was night and she would no longer receive further visitors, whether it be Alpha Brent or one of his pack members checking on her healing, he would crawl into bed with her and sleep until the early morning hours. She had requested he do this on the first night, and then the rest of the nights he acted on his own accord, without needing to be asked. His body had quickly adopted a new internal alarm clock, and he made sure that he was out of the bed in the early morning, to keep away any unnecessary prying eyes or scolding words for his actions.

Everyone was well aware that she was the mate of the Alpha from Shaded Mountain, however they also recognized how closely bonded Alex and Elizabeth seemed to be, and they did not push for him to keep a distance. She had been healing much quicker than originally expected and it had been attributed to his comforting presence. She was not awake often, but when she was, he could successfully encourage her to eat and he also was able to bring her back to the present reality when her mind faltered into clear instability.

He spent most of his time at her bedside with an overwhelming anger deep within his chest. She deserved better than the hand she was dealt, the hand that was forced on her, the hand that ripped her away from him. Had she stayed by his side, she never would have seen a dark day, he would have kept her safe, he would have protected her from this lifestyle that was too jarring and shocking for her gentle beautiful mind to process.

He never let her see his own discontent, when the stark gold eyed laced with the smallest traces of green and brown looked upon his blue eyes, she only saw his same warm smile and jovial expression. He would joke with her and affectionately rub her IV laden hand, whispering to her that it would get better, that she would get better. However, the revelations of her medical findings were a looming thought in the back of his mind. 

He could not bring himself to tell her that she was pregnant, he knew what that would do to her, and he had advised the medical staff to not inform her until she showed signs of more consistent clear thinking. Elizabeth had plans and goals, and being pregnant at twenty-two did not fall in line with those things. Her being pregnant did not fall into line with his plans, she was supposed to be with him, she was supposed to have his child when she was good and ready, maybe after a few years had passed and her restless youth had settled.

The mark on the crook of her neck disgusted him, it should have been his. The audacity of the Alpha was infuriating, she was not his mate to mark. He had acted like a spoiled toddler who saw a shiny object that he wanted in the moment and the result of his selfish actions led to this exact point.

To this exact point, where her true mate was now idly sitting in a sterile smelling hospital room, trying to soothe and return her to her own sanity. She had called Alex for help. Alex had even derived that she had subconsciously sought him out the night she ended up calling him from a pay phone in the state he was currently residing. That was how strong their bond was. She had known where to seek comfort and reprieve from the chaos that had become her life.

Their bond was so strong that destiny led them back together once again. He had been sent on peacekeeping efforts due to his lack of want to be mated to the woman named Allison. She was so convinced that they were meant to be together, and pursued him relentlessly. It had caused turmoil and unrest at his own pack, the pressure placed on him to show her affection and even mark her became unbearable.

He had received it from all sides, from his own father wanting the bullshit to end with the Alpha from Montana, from Allison who begged and pleaded for him to recognize their mateship, to her father a Master Beta from another pack who was less than kind with his words due to his own daughters upset. Eventually, Alpha Ryan sent him away with the belief that absence would make his heart grow fonder. But now that seemed to be an error in thinking, as he seemingly had paved the way for Alex and Elizabeth to be back together once again.